PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Have one and rarely use it. I much prefer the Corona Pipemaster. Granted, it's not of much use outside if it's windy, but the Old Boy will go out if a Sparrow farts 20 yards away. That, and aside from the fact that I personally find it a PITA to use. But... that's just my opinion. :wink:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I like the Old Boy, but everything that Phil says is completely true. I also like the Dunhill Rollagas (got two of them) and they make the Old Boy look like
m2-flamethrower_2.jpg

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I was thinking of getting a Corona Old Boy for indoor use - it looks classy and has a built-in tamper, and has a great number of followers.

However, a few long term reviews by pipe smokers who own multiple brand mentioned some higher maintenance aspect of it. I think the next indoor butane light I am going to get is one of those made in Japan Peterson that has a similar design to Old Boy. (For outdoor use, I would only bring a butane torch lighter or a Zippo.)
Some of those reviews I mentioned:

http://tampandpuff.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5599

http://www.pipelighters.net/blogs/pipe-lighters/8202137-problems-with-old-boy-pipe-lighter

http://jogi-wan.blogspot.de/2014/11/old-boy-vs-peterson-die.html
I have no problem getting one of these fancy looking Old Boy lighters and use it occasionally though.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Forget about pipelighters.net. They have the same look and feel of an Old Boy, but they are utter CRAP!

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
I never had problems with my Old Boy until my local cigar shop switched from Vector butane to Zippo. Suddenly I would charge the lighter like I always did which was to press down for about 10 seconds but in a day the flame died. The Zippo butane has a universal filling spout so I tried it again but now I gave it a little twist when I pushed down then let up until I heard a leak and then repeated that in pulses like someone described above. Problem solved. I am now on day 4. When I had another butane lighter years ago, I did have the problem of blow torch or no flame at all that was solved by using a better quality butane.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Never use anything but high grade multi-filtered butane fuel for lighters. Zippo lighter fluid is great and low odor for regular fluid lighters, but their butane fuel will clog up the workings on a lighter. However, if you want a great deal on a can of Zippo butane fuel go HERE! 8O

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Here's what I do and so far so good over about 3 years. Release the tank pressure, wipe down everything with an alcohol pad and pipe cleaner, use canned air to blow out business end and around the fill valve. Now I'm ready to refill but first I rotate the flame adjust screw from max to min a few times then setting it where I like it I use a couple quick blast of butane shake the lighter and depress the fill valve very quickly before topping off.

Status
Not open for further replies.