PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
After 50 years of pipe smoking and a half-dozen or so "nice" lighters including two "classic era" Corona Old Boys---all of which became a PITA regarding leaks, flints, and refills---I've gone over completely to those throw-away Bics with the extension widget. Cost like a dollar and last about a month.

Wish I'd known about them sooner.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Or I suppose another way to put it is, "luxury" commands a higher price than "standard", so anything beyond maybe a $5 lighter is luxury regardless of whether it's $50 or $500 because it's unnecessarily opulent or whatever. And it's kind of pointless to make something luxury if it's not high enough quality.

But at a certain point, you're no longer paying for better materials, craftsmanship, etc and you're paying prestige value for a specific name.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Interesting and useful thread! I've been curious about "moving up" to an Old Boy or Pipemaster (ok, what's better of the two?). Somewhat disappointed to hear that trouble with both of those is sounding not so uncommon?
My lineup of current pipestarters runs from an inexpensive Vertigo butane click-start down to paper matches... outside all the time for my smoking, so matches are almost completely out of the picture. I really dislike thumb-roller lighters (Bics and Clipper). Zippo is merely ok, but fuel is messy and seems to be out or tried out every other time I pick it up. I like the electronic click-start. It is -mostly- reliable. Sometimes frustrating with multiple click to get it to light (when new it lit first click every time). Good to know quality of the butane makes a big difference (Xikar for me next!). Sticking with the Vertigo and perhaps similar price-point click-start butanes for now.
IMG_5343.jpg

Reactions: yanoJL

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Another important aspect is the butane regardless of which lighter you choose. I switched to the high performance butane several years ago. What a huge difference it makes. I buy Xikar, I think there are other brands.
Just refilled my Peterson with Xikar that arrived last week. Seems to definitely burn much cleaner and I’m sure this is in my head but seems to work better in a little wind. Now that’s like saying Gene Simmons is prettier than Roseanne Barr but that flame hung on for dear life and I got my pipe lit!

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Just refilled my Peterson with Xikar that arrived last week. Seems to definitely burn much cleaner and I’m sure this is in my head but seems to work better in a little wind. Now that’s like saying Gene Simmons is prettier than Roseanne Barr but that flame hung on for dear life and I got my pipe lit!
I’ve been having pretty good luck with that combo as well.

Wolf357

Lurker
Jun 23, 2021
Manitoba Canada
After a week and a half I got my Corina Old Boy via Post
First Impressions are very good…
It’s a bit smaller than I would of thought but that’s not a bad thing…
Good weight to it…
Nice flame…..but you definitely have to adjust from manufacturer which is like a flame thrower…
Hopefully I don’t loose the damb thing and it will last me years to come

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After a week and a half I got my Corina Old Boy via Post
First Impressions are very good…
It’s a bit smaller than I would of thought but that’s not a bad thing…
Good weight to it…
Nice flame…..but you definitely have to adjust from manufacturer which is like a flame thrower…
Hopefully I don’t loose the damb thing and it will last me years to come
Just don't drop it. A cracked fuel tank isn't repairable.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Wolf357

Lurker
Jun 23, 2021
Manitoba Canada
So I’ve had my old boy for about 3 months now….
My take on it…Feels great in the hand…lights well, easy to fill, easy to maintain, the fuel doesn’t leak or evaporate. It’s just quality. Yes it’s not the best in the wind… but once you get a bit of tobacco down in the bowl it’s ok in the bowl for the most part unless it’s really windy…
I also really like the little thing that there is a tamper in the lighter if I forget mine….used to have to use an old wood screw if I forgot my tamper before….

Reactions: dunnyboy

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
I rock the Kiribi and have no issues. You have to clean it once and awhile. I’ve taken it all apart, cleaned it and put it back together. It’s simple and cheaper than the corona. If I’m paying $400 for a lighter, I’m buying a new pipe and bic instead.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I rock the Kiribi and have no issues. You have to clean it once and awhile. I’ve taken it all apart, cleaned it and put it back together. It’s simple and cheaper than the corona. If I’m paying $400 for a lighter, I’m buying a new pipe and bic instead.
You can get a Corona Old Boy for about $120.

Reactions: Laurent

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Yes they start at $120 but they really go up in price. Zigzag has now released these $2 lighters that are refillable, nice soft flames. To each their own. View attachment 260914
You bought a Kiribi lighter, which starts at around $80. You made it sound like a Corona was way more expensive. All I’m saying is it’s not a "much more expensive" lighter compared to a $400 price tag. That’s all. To each their own. 😁

Reactions: Scottmi and Laurent

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
You bought a Kiribi lighter, which starts at around $80. You made it sound like a Corona was way more expensive. All I’m saying is it’s not a "much more expensive" lighter compared to a $400 price tag. That’s all. To each their own. 😁
Yes I came in strong with the $400 because they get up to that. I got my kiribi on sale for $60 and even that at the time was hard to pull the trigger on. I had tried the zippo but hate the taste and I did buy the butane insert, still wasn’t a fan. Knowing what I know now, I would stick to the long nose bics. But, live and learn. Either way, corona or kiribi, if you fart while lighting your pipe, they go out. Lol.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
So I’ve had my old boy for about 3 months now….
My take on it…Feels great in the hand…lights well, easy to fill, easy to maintain, the fuel doesn’t leak or evaporate. It’s just quality. Yes it’s not the best in the wind… but once you get a bit of tobacco down in the bowl it’s ok in the bowl for the most part unless it’s really windy…
I also really like the little thing that there is a tamper in the lighter if I forget mine….used to have to use an old wood screw if I forgot my tamper before….
Completely agree with your assessment. I have three of them in rotation. Two have been repaired and work like new. I inadvertently bought several cans of "high altitude" butane so I make sure not to overfill the tank.

Reactions: Scottmi