24 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
It's been some time now since I've reviewed anything, so I thought a lazy Sunday afternoon would be a great time to review a favorite of mine. This is my take on C&D Sunday Picnic (Don't judge too hard...)

Sunday Picnic is a blend I found myself appreciative of very quickly. From the first bowl, I knew I really liked it. It is now hoarded deeply in my cellar and remains a daily smoke for me, especially during warmer weather. I prefer it from a smaller bowl but have found it still smokes great in larger bowls. The nic hit is about perfect for an all day smoke, at what I would consider a mild to medium. It consistently smokes cool, and bite free. Best of all? This blend is readily available, and often times on sale.

Upon lighting, I taste the orientals immediately and the smooth grassy Virginias. It has a very pleasant fruity and hay like flavor once the bowl is lit. The further into the bowl I get, the more earthy, tangy and slightly sour the flavor becomes. The perique is presenting itself more with a little spice, but without overpowering the orientals and Virginias. The smoke is also creamy and slightly nutty at this point and very smooth, still burning cool.
About two thirds of the way into the bowl now, and I can taste more of the Perique. The smoke has a pleasant spice to it now, while maintaing a sweet and toasty flavor. I taste the herbal orientals more than anything I think, but the Virginias are ever so prevalent throughout this smoke with a nice citrus flavor and maintaining grassy notes. Theres almost a taste and aroma of pine or something similar. It is pure bliss.
This blend smoked consistent and full of flavor to the bottom of the bowl. Pleasantly sweet and sour, notes of pine and hay, and a intriguing spice along the way. Truly perfect for a cool spring day, or a hot summer day. I enjoying pairing with a cold sweet tea or lemonade.

The room note was pleasant to say the least - this is a blend my wife enjoys me smoking inside on a spring day. As stated before, theres an aroma similar to that of pine. A very crisp, earthy and toasty smell.

I'll hope this review didn't bore you into oblivion, and I'd be curious as to others take on this smoke - as it is a favorite of mine.
Smoked from a Wessex Dublin estate, 1 year of age on the blend. I'll be comparing a fresh tin to a 3 year tin sometime in the near future and am really looking forward to cracking into some older stock.

Thanks for reading.IMG_8717_Medium__83097.1638374228.jpg277233737_503171757973402_7867827515858241904_n.jpg277176215_311436811092282_2687834281041742279_n.jpg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I guess the blend is a VaPer?? I had to go to smokingpipes.com to be sure. The good thing about the review is that you like the tobacco and you have purchased a bunch of it. I get rather tired of guys who buy two tins, open one of them to try it, like it and congratulate themselves on having another tin in reserve. If you really like a blend you have to buy all you can afford to buy. Don't assume tobacco is eternal.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I guess the blend is a VaPer?? I had to go to smokingpipes.com to be sure. The good thing about the review is that you like the tobacco and you have purchased a bunch of it. I get rather tired of guys who buy two tins, open one of them to try it, like it and congratulate themselves on having another tin in reserve. If you really like a blend you have to buy all you can afford to buy. Don't assume tobacco is eternal.
I add an 8oz tin to almost every order, and that's weekly haha.
And yes, it's a VaPerOr

Bamfdor

Lurker
Jan 10, 2022
Illinois
I have a tin of this that I want to try, but haven’t cracked it yet. How does it smoke young? My tin date is from the end of December and thought about letting sit for some time while working through others.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92