PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BorealPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2021
I received this tin as part of a smokingpipes.com promotion (free tin with the purchase of a new Peterson) . I don’t think it is available for purchase. Tin description reads “A wistful blend of White, Dark, and Cube-cut Burley layered with Bright flue-cured leaf and a fantasm of Latakia. Popping the tin reveals a crumble cake of mottled brown leaf with lighter flecks of the bright flue-cured leaf and black speckles of latakia. The tin note is very “old fashioned” to me, very earthy with notes of wood, earth, leather,fermented vegetation and a light smokiness from the latakia. Upon opening it was slightly moister than I prefer and I let a bowl’s- worth air out for 10 minutes or so before packing in a large cob.

It took a charring light easily and I was off after a tamp and relight. The initial flavor echoed the tin note with lots of wood, dark earth, leather, and a slight nuttiness. The latakia was detectable as a light musty smokiness. This is very dry in flavor without a hint of sweetness. A slight bitterness emerged mid-bowl, and at this point the flavor was very muddy to me. The tobacco burned well and required few relights. The nicotine hit seemed moderate.The muddiness turned ashy at the end of the smoke, and left a strong and somewhat unpleasant aftertaste that lingered for a long time.

Overall, I did not love this blend. I like burley, and enjoy other C & D burleys very much, but the muddiness and development of some unpleasant flavors along with the strong aftertaste just didn’t do it for me. I had the same experience with subsequent bowls in various briars and cobs. Two stars for the quality of the leaf, but it’s just not to my taste.

Last edited:

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I got 2 of the winter reserve freebies with Peterson a couple Christmas ago. I disliked both. The one is in a jar still, I may give it one more go but the Toboggan Run I ended up throwing away. Only pipe tobacco I have had to throw out. Just way too harsh a smoke for me.

Needless to say I learned my lesson and won't be getting sucked into that promotion again. Both of the Pete's I got in that promo are pretty mediocre smokers as well so just a fail all around.