PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
So, I finally got my first clay pipe. This may be a ridiculous question: do you clean your clays with pipe cleaners after every smoke, like briars and cobs?

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I do the same thing I do with every pipe: pipe cleaner down the stem and shank then paper towel in the bowl. With the clay I do use a slightly damp paper towel where normally I would just use a dry one.

Reactions: Akoni808
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
The proper way to clean a clay is in a fire or oven. They were simply smoked until they were gross and then tossed in a fire/oven to be burnt clean. If you have a stem blockage , use a piece of wire or straw to clear it and move on. Easy Peasy. Obviously this won't work with clays that have metal fittings or rubber stems.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
The proper way to clean a clay is in a fire or oven. They were simply smoked until they were gross and then tossed in a fire/oven to be burnt clean. If you have a stem blockage , use a piece of wire or straw to clear it and move on. Easy Peasy. Obviously this won't work with clays that have metal fittings or rubber stems.
Done that too! as long as the fire is not raging. You want the end of the fire or you will need a new pipe...

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@RustiePyles CPG I'd like to try it if I'm taking part in re-enactment or bushcraft.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I think someone put my Pete clay in a fire in the past causing the nickel band to crack. What should one do to clean a clay that’s got a band?

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
@RustiePyles CPG I'd like to try it if I'm taking part in re-enactment or bushcraft.
Bury it in the coals of a dying fire and pull it out in the morning, blow the ash off and carry on. I've also tossed em on a clean grill and put the lid on and left em until the grill was out. A good rule of thumb is if the fire is to hot to cook on, it's too hot to put your clay pipe in.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I use Falcon pipe cleaners
It's funny, I bought a pack of Falcon "extra thin" pipe cleaners for this very purpose. While the cotton bristles are shorter than other pipe cleaners, the wire gauge isn't particularly thin, so they're still a tight fit in my clays!

So I've just had to take note of whatever cleaners work best, like those 9" BJ Longs. Not sure why they would use smaller wire than the regular 6.5" BJ Longs, but it seems to be the case...

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
Bury it in the coals of a dying fire and pull it out in the morning, blow the ash off and carry on. I've also tossed em on a clean grill and put the lid on and left em until the grill was out. A good rule of thumb is if the fire is to hot to cook on, it's too hot to put your clay pipe in.
Did you throw them on the grate? Or in the charcoal?

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Pipe cleaner and wipe the bowl with a paper towel here. Seems to keep things clean. I wiped some beeswax on the mouthpiece area to make it more comfortable on my lips.

I haven’t had to do a fire cleaning yet and don’t see needing to do one for a long time.