Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Migwar

Lurker
Jan 12, 2024
Well this is one makes my first contribution to this forum.

I am smoking pipe since 4 months now and as a starter I am trying different things and trying to gain some experience slowly.

I've found some clan pipe tobacco in the free zone last day and got 2 boxes for 5 packs each as they were discounted.

I've read some reviews and knew this tobacco had some good days burning in pipes decades ago.

Asking kindly based on colleagues experience, if such tobacco bases on its constitution will be good and what should I expect, especially that they are labeled 2010 if I am not wrong.

I am going to transform some to mason jars.

Thank you,

Migwar
IMG_9009.jpeg
IMG_8996.jpeg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
The first & last time I purchased a pouch of Clan, was in the 80's.
Superb room note, unsurpassed even. Along with the warming tartan decor, giving an impression of tradition, quality and strength. What followed can only be described as the singular most heinous experience I've ever experienced in my pipe. Hopefully YMMV.

Wet Dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2023
Littleton, CO
Well, I smoked a lot it. Obviously, I liked it enough. However, the shag cut used to dry very quickly, at which time it would burn like gun powder. Care is advisable. I haven't smoked it in more than 20 years, therefore I can't say how it is now. But I doubt it will age well. Please let us know of your experience.

Reactions: Migwar

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
What a legend. If you smoke it, please let us know your take on its famously divisive topping.

Has anyone ever found what was in the old recipe for this one?

Migwar

Lurker
Jan 12, 2024
I am grateful to everyone for your reactions. I have put some in a mason jar to hydrate them. After opening two packs, I realized they were extremely dry. I will post some pictures at a later time. In any case, I will taste both the dry and hydrated versions and will provide feedback. My feedback will depend on my limited experience until now.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
The first & last time I purchased a pouch of Clan, was in the 80's.
Superb room note, unsurpassed even. Along with the warming tartan decor, giving an impression of tradition, quality and strength. What followed can only be described as the singular most heinous experience I've ever experienced in my pipe. Hopefully YMMV.
@simong I think the Cavaliers & Redcoats would be better off putting their Clan in their guns than in their pipes:)

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I got a pouch from an English friend in maybe 2008. To me it wasn’t great, but it didn’t live up to all the horror stories I read about.
Kinda the Continental version of Mixture 79.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
It is going well, with my modest experience of few months, I am liking it.
@Migwar I like it in my clays; a neighbour got me 5 packets back from Spain. Currently practicing for the Egremont clay pipe fast smoke:
I'm told by the event organisers they use Clan Original for the clay pipe fast smoke. Yes it burns very hot and fast; it's soon gone:) I still think the Cavaliers & Roundheads would have been better off putting their Clan in their guns than in their pipes:)