PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Learn to smoke properly with reputable briar pipe before smoking movie props. Once you are well versed in pipe smoking, you will understand why movie props aren't fit for using as a smoking device. And if you must, there are reputable brands that actually make those ridiculous back scratchers.

Longshanks

Lurker
Jan 1, 2024
Virginia, USA
Learn to smoke properly with reputable briar pipe before smoking movie props. Once you are well versed in pipe smoking, you will understand why movie props aren't fit for using as a smoking device. And if you must, there are reputable brands that actually make those ridiculous back scratchers.
🏆 Here is your award for most useless comment on this thread LOL

I've been smoking mainly reputable briars up to this point(10 years give or take) and thus consider myself decently well-versed with them. I also stated that this was my first attempt with pipes made of cherry and was hoping to determine if I was missing something, having no prior experience with cherry wood specifically. The pipes in question aren't props, they're made to be functional and come in briar wood as well. But there is still a chance for you to be useful on this thread: why not post a link to one of these "reputable brands" and I'll take a look? 😁

Qball89

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Western Pa
Maybe I didn’t quite understand or maybe I’ve been doing it wrong but I was always taught to make sure you smoke all the way down to the bottom of the bowl to build a good cake while breaking in a pipe. Even if you have set the pipe down for awhile to cool, go back to it and continue smoking that way until you are sure all the tobacco is burned. Then try one or two more times to be sure it’s all been smoked. If you don’t smoke to the bottom, I’m pretty sure you won’t build cake in the bottom, at least not a good cake. Then you will be more prone to hot spots and burnouts. Just an idea. Thoughts anyone?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
🏆 Here is your award for most useless comment on this thread LOL

I've been smoking mainly reputable briars up to this point(10 years give or take) and thus consider myself decently well-versed with them. I also stated that this was my first attempt with pipes made of cherry and was hoping to determine if I was missing something, having no prior experience with cherry wood specifically. The pipes in question aren't props, they're made to be functional and come in briar wood as well. But there is still a chance for you to be useful on this thread: why not post a link to one of these "reputable brands" and I'll take a look? 😁
Mostly Peterson. Actually, all Peterson. About half of 'em I took out after the last move. What do you enjoy smoking other that something you have no idea after 10 years of smoking?

1000000551.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Longshanks

Lurker
Jan 1, 2024
Virginia, USA
Mostly Peterson. Actually, all Peterson. About half of 'em I took out after the last move. What do you enjoy smoking other that something you have no idea after 10 years of smoking?

View attachment 278240
Peterson also, as well as Milano, Dr. Grabow and Crown briars, besides the oddball corncob and clay Jamestown. As I've said several times, the issue isn't smoking in general, it's that cherry wood as a material is new to me.

Reactions: bullet08

Longshanks

Lurker
Jan 1, 2024
Virginia, USA
Maybe I didn’t quite understand or maybe I’ve been doing it wrong but I was always taught to make sure you smoke all the way down to the bottom of the bowl to build a good cake while breaking in a pipe. Even if you have set the pipe down for awhile to cool, go back to it and continue smoking that way until you are sure all the tobacco is burned. Then try one or two more times to be sure it’s all been smoked. If you don’t smoke to the bottom, I’m pretty sure you won’t build cake in the bottom, at least not a good cake. Then you will be more prone to hot spots and burnouts. Just an idea. Thoughts anyone?
I've heard both theories, that you should smoke carefully to the bottom AND that you shouldn't smoke all the way down at all. At the very least, most advise against relighting the little bit of tobacco at the very bottom of the pipe as this is more inclined to burn the pipe. Although most of my briars seem to have a good cake on the bottom at this point and I generally have no issues smoking them all the way down so 🤷‍♂️