PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aikatal

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2013
After browsing through the selection of Chapuis-Comoy Luxor pipes on Amazon, and mulling over the choices, I finally took the plunge and bought one. These are fairly inexpensive pipes, which I've seen described as being Chacom seconds. I chose the Luxor 1-9 in the picture, a rakish-looking straight Dublin.
At a glance, it's a nice looking pipe, with its medium walnut stain and smooth satin finish. Closer inspection reveals a multitude of fills, mostly tiny ones, but a few fairly large ones. There are also a couple tiny sandpits, and a small depressed area that seems to have been overlooked by whomever was responsible for doing the fills on this pipe. I've bought a few other pipes in the under $40 range, and none of them have as many fills as this Luxor pipe does. Even the Czech-made Mitchell Thomas briar I bought at a local B & M for $24 is a better quality pipe.
Ordinarily, when I buy a new pipe I can't wait to try it out, but I've yet to work up enough enthusiasm for this one to want to fill it with good tobacco-- so I can't report on its smoking qualities. I may ultimately decide that I don't like it well enough to keep it and will pack it up and send it back. I'll think about it over some Dunhill Nightcap-- smoked in one of my dependable old favorites.
luxor-600x337.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well, it's not a bad looking pipe for the money; and you know that cosmetic issues won't affect the smoke.

I say go for it. It might be a great smoker.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I think it's a nice looking piece. Don't let the fills put you off. Smoke it and give it a chance. If you decide it's not for you, you can always donate it to someone who needs a pipe.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I tried to buy one of the Luxors on Amazon as well, but they cancelled my order due to not having any stock of the Acorn I wanted :(
Guess I'll have to buy the non-seconds version in the Chacom Match line. Anyway, that 1-9 was on of the ones I considered, I think it is a good looker and I bet it smokes just as well as its Chacom twins.

aikatal

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2013
I decided to put on a blindfold and give it a try... It's actually not a bad smoker, and will undoubtedly get even better with use. I'm smoking some Butera (blended by McClelland) Royal Vintage Dark Stoved in it now.
I admit that the number of obvious fills in this pipe put me off-- I don't think I've ever owned a pipe with so many visible fills. Even my $9 no-name basket pipe has only five, compared with the 24 fills on this Luxor. I expected that it would have fills, but not quite that many. But as long as it smokes well enough, I'll just pretend they're not there.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Might make a good gardening pipe, or lawn mower companion. It's good to have a couple beaters lying about. Sometimes they'll surprise you by how well they smoke. Then they become cherished keepers, and fight for space on your racks. It's really all about how she smokes for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.