PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JoeW

Lurker
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
I’m not the original poster here, but I’d like to thank you all for your responses. I have
only been smoking pipes for 2 months or so, and your responses have helped me immensely in improving my pipe technique, and in understanding something that has always puzzled me.

I have never smoked a cigarette in my life, or anything at all before my first cigar last September. I have always found the smell of cigarettes to be vile and nasty, with one exception: the first puff someone takes on a cigarette has always been very pleasant to me, but I never understood why. Now I get it: it’s the initial toasting and ignition of the tobacco. The point of a cigarette is to burn that tobacco and get the nicotine as quickly as possible, so that pleasant aroma never lasts.

One can treat a pipe that way too, and end up with a charry, bitter, ashy experience. I didn’t understand why so many pipe smokers advocate “sipping” and slow, cool smoking. Now I see: smoking slowly keeps the tobacco smoldering at the edge of ignition rather than simply burning down quickly, and extends that delicious toasty, nutty flavor and aroma.

Since reading this thread, I’ve started smoking far more slowly and puffing less frequently, paying more attention to the ember and the flavor. I’m relighting with the flame only as close as necessary; I’m relighting more, but nearly every time I get that nice toasty aroma and flavor. Now it’s taking me twice as long to smoke a bowl, but I’m enjoying it ten times as much.

So thanks again to you all. Understanding better what’s happening in my pipe has made this a much more enjoyable experience!

Reactions: FLDRD

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hi,

I have recently started smoking pipes. I had almost never touched tobacco before (very occasional cigarette apart).

I am smoking a Savinelli 644KS Titus, Sillem's Blue tovacco, with a 9mm Balsa filters.

I notice that after the initial charring light and second light, and subsequent few puffs, as the pipe gets comfortably warm to the hand, the "cigarette" tasting smoke changes to a much nicer 'lime / minty' flavour which I really appreciate.

I am trying to practice my cadence to try to keep this taste.

However if the pipe goes out, and I re-light, I never get to achieve that taste again, which stays similar to the first light "cigarette" taste. This taste is less pleasant to me and makes me a bit queasy.

Any advice would be really appreciated.
when relighting keep the flame further away from the tobacco then you did to get it started. After a while you'll realize it's almost the hint of flame that will get the tobacco going well again. Also dumping the ash before lighting may or may not help but worth a try. Also using matches or a soft flame or a zippo should help as well.
Yeah it's nice when you realize the relight can be just as nice as the rest of the experience.