PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I've changed my tune with this one. At first I was mildly disappointed, but, I tried it in my little 60's era dunhill bulldog which has a tiny bowl, and, well... it's completely different: that "cranberry" taste others mentioned in reviews came through with some pie crust/cookie flavor with a cream like base. Absolutely delicious, but, I could only get that flavor from a specific pipe, after rubbing it out and letting it sit for about 15. Next release I'm picking up as many tins as I can.
Every release is slightly different based on the amount of sugars in the leaf, i have tins from 2018 on and each year is slightly different not only because of age but because of said sugar contents, some of the newer years are slightly sweeter than some of the older years even though they have been sitting and doing their thing, their VaPer is also one of my favorites, if you've never tried that.

Reactions: Singularis

starrynight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2023
Every release is slightly different based on the amount of sugars in the leaf, i have tins from 2018 on and each year is slightly different not only because of age but because of said sugar contents, some of the newer years are slightly sweeter than some of the older years even though they have been sitting and doing their thing, their VaPer is also one of my favorites, if you've never tried that.
I actually picked up a couple from a forum member. CRF 2018, and I think 2020 w/Perique. I noticed the sugar content was lower, at like 10%. It'll be a fun experiment to crack that tin, and compare with the 2022 version. One thing is for sure, I am grabbing as many as I can for 2023 release.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I know my way around VAs and you are exactly right. The problem is low natural sugar content VAs combined with a general aversion to casings across the board at C&D. Every year CRF is released I‘m surprised to see that the natural sugar content is right there on the label- good for them for being up front but I’m guessing they are betting on most people having no idea what that number means. It has ranged from 8 to 13%. McClelland VAs were usually 20% plus, and closed shop when they could no longer source that kind of leaf. Casings can help make up for low sugar content but C&D seems to want to keep that to an absolute minimum. For me, low sugar content VAs with minimal casing taste just like raw burley. A lot of people seem to like that, I don’t.

Aside from how it tastes fresh, low sugar content crushes aging potential. Fermentation is a big part of aging and that requires sugar, natural or added. C&D VAs seem impervious to aging, especially those from about 2012 on. I think that’s due to low sugar content and minimal casing.

I‘m not a C&D hater, I remember calling in orders 20 years ago and ordering blends by the pound and for $2 more they would press them into a brick for you, any blend. I just think VAs have never been their strong suit.
Totally agree. I don’t get the love for C&D Virginias. Like you said, raw burley🤮. I just don’t enjoy them.

Reactions: tfdickson

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I haven’t tried the 2018, but I remember opening a fresh tin of 2019 and being very disappointed. There was a harshness to it that overwhelmed everything else. 2 years later it had transformed into a very good blend (at least to me) with a deep cinnamon sugar vibe while keeping a spiciness to it. Age obviously isn’t a factor with your 2018 tin, so it’s just not for you. CRF definitely has an edge to it, and it’s really nothing like Christmas Cheer.

As has been said here many times, YMMV. At the very least you have some good trade bait.