Can You Visit A Pipe Show Without Buying?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I tried to go and not buy any pipes at my first Chicago show (because of extreme eBay PAD the whole year prior). I was mostly going to meet Cooper, Fallon and Garza in person since I was getting at least one package a week from them. I intentionally didn't bring a lot of cash with me, promised the wife I was just going to window shop, check out the scene, and I'll be back home in 3-4 hours. Great times ensued, met a ton of carvers, hung out in the tent with some nice people, got a bunch of free tobacco samples.
Then I started talking to Maguires Knets and my plan went awry. 10 minutes later ended up running to the nearest bank to get $600 to buy a very nice pipe.
Deals not so much, experience....priceless

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I recently attended the KC pipe show and didn't leave with anything except a bunch of carvers' business cards. I did buy a $100 worth of raffle tickets for the prince set being raffled off, so technically I bought something. I came fully prepared and expecting to buy a pipe and was sure I'd leave with one but when it came down to choosing one, I couldn't do it. This was my first show and I was surprised by the wave if indecision that came over me. Too many nice pipes. Maybe next time - probably next time.
Meeting Pipestud and chatting with him was worth the effort in itself.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I've never been to a Pipe Show, but I can assure you that if my wife went with me the purchases would be at a bare minimum. If I went by myself I might be divorced when I returned home.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yabbut, some of those pesky vendors accept plastic! I am heading to the show tomorrow, and don't plan on buying anything. But I don't plan on not buying either. Fellowship, trying different tobaccos, enjoying seeing great workmanship, are what's sending me this year. Yeah, I will come home with at least a great souvenir.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I typically don't have the money to buy more than a tin or two, and since I'm also not very social, I don't go to shows.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
winton, I agree, cash is the way to go. You can keep yourself on some sort of leash, and if you splurge, you know it and have to milk the account again. The local merchants don't love it, and some young cashiers look a little confused, but cash is the key to a good budget for me. Not just pipe shows. Sometimes I even count out exact change, which is first annoying, and then brings a smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.