PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
This is one of the worst propositions to come around lately. It would seem that it's real purpose is to grow government which will have more control over us with little of the taxes collected actually going to cancer research and much of it is going to be spent out of state.
This will certainly give fuel to the allready present black market. A friend of mine who is a manager for Costco told me that the theft of cigarettes dramatically increased after the last tax hike that we experience here in CA. This prop if it passes will make matters throughout the state a whole lot worse.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
As I heard it, the current tax revenues on tboacco in California are falling way short of projections so the natural action is to increase the taxes. As Bugs would say, "What a bunch of maroons."

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That's something I haven't understood. I guess in Hollywood or whatever in L.A. you can't smoke in public. A friend of mine got stopped by a cop for it infact. The thing that gets me though is he said the officer told him the city put it into law so there'd be less cigarette butts on the sidewalks. My question is, how would a pipe contribute to cigarette butt liter?

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
With all the health nazis we have in California this is no surprise. Prices go up smokers reduce consumption and revenues go down as well. Unintended consequences of protecting the public from Unintended consequences. I wont get started on a rant of the stupidity of California politics but will vote no on this.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
You know what I'd like to see, a bunch of the extreme anti-tobacco folks go into a sleazy motorcycle biker bar, and politely ask them to pay an additional $2 for the cigarette they're smoking.
That would have a lot of entertainment value. :puffy:
I think more than likely, the health nazis in question, are really just trying to draw their purse strings tighter, by taxing cigarettes instead of raising OTHER taxes (ones they would also have to pay for) to pay for the ensuing health care costs.
But really we'd all be better off if medical school tuition wasn't ridiculously high, and a hospital toilet seat didn't cost $500. If they're going to be adjusting the financial structure, THAT'S where they should start.
I'm pretty sure that Prop 29 here gets voted on in June, I got a ballot packet yesterday.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
It's always the same thing with the government.Typical example is when they say mass transit ridership is down, so they need to raise the rates to make up the money they're losing. Why they can't learn that the way to make more money is to charge less? All they ever know to do is raise taxes.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
One stupid law we have in my town is it is illegal to wash your car in your drive way. Yet you can go down the street to the store and buy all kinds of car wash products. Every one knows the code enforcer gets off work at 5. So every one just washes their car after 5. Which is fine because that is happy hour and washing a car is a two beer job. :puffy:

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Congrats on Prop 29 being voted down. But I hope you understand that next time it won't be a left up to a Proposition it will be a bill, act, or amendment named as a number and passed through your legislature. They think you (voters) are stupid and now you've 'proved' it by not going along with them. Savor this victory but stay vigilant. Now the dirty tricks start.

Status
Not open for further replies.