PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

BorealPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2021
Back on topic: I really liked Winchester but I'm curious if you guys dry it out at all? Out of the jar it's pretty moist for me but then again I like to dry to a light crisp.
Yes, i usually dry it out a bit. I tend to keep an ounce or so in a pouch on my desk which helps bring it to my preferred moisture level. "Light crisp' is a perfect description. @BenMN, thanks for the additional info!

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I suffer from this same affliction and through a lot of experimenting I've decided it's not actually the acidity, it's the opposite. Everybody's mouth chemistry is a little different and I think a lot of "tongue bite" and overall mouth discomfort is caused by tipping your mouths acidity too far in one direction.

When I tried smoking Virginia heavy blends by themselves, not a good time. Smoking it with something like tea, even worse. However if I drink something relatively acidic alongside it's fantastic and I have little to no discomfort. So my unscientific conclusion is that virginias will make your mouth more alkaline and by drinking something acidic, my choice is a soda, you can offset this effect. Worth a shot anyway.

Back on topic: I really liked Winchester but I'm curious if you guys dry it out at all? Out of the jar it's pretty moist for me but then again I like to dry to a light crisp.
Hey, I actually smoke Winchester right out of the jar. I don't have an issue with needing to dry it out. Could be too that I've gotten an older batch maybe. I usually dry out flakes and Lakelands. Winchester and Pegasus are my main smokes right now and they are pretty much ready to go from the jars. Peter Stokkebye stuff rips my tongue up too. I bought some PS English Luxury and loved it, but the bite was awful

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I suffer from this same affliction and through a lot of experimenting I've decided it's not actually the acidity, it's the opposite. Everybody's mouth chemistry is a little different and I think a lot of "tongue bite" and overall mouth discomfort is caused by tipping your mouths acidity too far in one direction.

When I tried smoking Virginia heavy blends by themselves, not a good time. Smoking it with something like tea, even worse. However if I drink something relatively acidic alongside it's fantastic and I have little to no discomfort. So my unscientific conclusion is that virginias will make your mouth more alkaline and by drinking something acidic, my choice is a soda, you can offset this effect. Worth a shot anyway.

I don't dry it out at all but I'm smoking it in a meerschaum which, as well all know, is the objectively superior pipe material. puffy

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
I may have to try Winchester. So far, the only C&D that I really enjoy include Star of the East flake, Sunset Harbor flake, Bayou Morning flake, John Marr, and the HP Lovecraft tobaccos. I missed out on The Beast, but I have a feeling I'd like it, too.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I've ordered C&D bulk from three stores now, and they are always bone dry - Pegasus, Shandygraf and OJK.

Still delicious, and only the Pegasus needed reviving (it was one hard rub from snuf).

Is that typical or have I been unlucky?
Either unlucky or your definition of bone dry differs from most.

I'd say 1/3 of the bulk blends I buy, regardless of blender, show up at "light crisp" levels of dryness which is about perfect for me. I've only had one blend, 2oz of 507s from TPC, arrive bone dry. So it should be pretty rare.

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I've ordered C&D bulk from three stores now, and they are always bone dry - Pegasus, Shandygraf and OJK.

Still delicious, and only the Pegasus needed reviving (it was one hard rub from snuf).

I have tried a few samples of bulk that I felt were dry or otherwise tired out. And then I think this is not what the blender/ house intended. And I think I may not be getting a fair impression of the blend.

The 1# and 5# bags C&D uses seem capable of at least months of stable storage.

So, if there's something I'm interested in, I'll give it a good think. Then, either buy a pound or nothing.

Reactions: Annaresti Red

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon

That is not typical of my experience purchasing c&d bulk from SPC.

I am a massive fan of the Laudisi brand tree so I exclusively purchase my tobaccos from SPC. I can’t speak to purchasing c&d bulk from any other online retailers.

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Either unlucky or your definition of bone dry differs from most.

I'd say 1/3 of the bulk blends I buy, regardless of blender, show up at "light crisp" levels of dryness which is about perfect for me. I've only had one blend, 2oz of 507s from TPC, arrive bone dry. So it should be pretty rare.
That is not typical of my experience purchasing c&d bulk from SPC.

I am a massive fan of the Laudisi brand tree so I exclusively purchase my tobaccos from SPC. I can’t speak to purchasing c&d bulk from any other online retailers.

The only one I've ever got that dry from SPC (out of 20 times) was that Pegasus, and after I bought it, it showed out of stock, it must have been the last bit. After reviving it was excellent.

The few other times things were dry, they weren't terribly so.