PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
From 2006 $2 for 1 1/2 ounce packet

Highly recommended

I have a milk crate full of tobacco and tonight found one of the packages I bought about fifteen years ago from a closing tobacco shop of Byzantium by Altadis.

Tobacco does not really go bad. It might mold or rot, but stored inside a climate controlled environment it lasts indefinitely. I’ve moistened these old packages several times, as needed.

Byzantium is now offered by Cornell and Diehl but my version was by Altadis.

It’s a delicious mixture of Virginia, Latakia and some Perique that time has mellowed. Peppery, with floral and citrus notes, this is a wonderful tasting English blend where the Latakia doesn’t overwhelm the rest of the tobaccos. There’s a good dose of nicotine but the blend is of medium strength.

Just expect to pay more than $2 a pouch.

951E856E-DD61-45B8-961B-5B3D6FD522DF.jpeg
73b813fe-1c9b-44e9-a004-408f09001fad-jpeg.205161

C1C9731F-3E19-4EF8-8D8C-B7041D80D98A.jpeg

DEC70C06-DFBC-45DC-89BF-94F0000591BF.jpeg

Last edited:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just curious about this statement: “Byzantium is now offered by Cornell and Diehl but my version was by Altadis.”

Do you know for a fact that these actually are “versions“ of the same blend…or do they just happen to both be Balkan-like blends that share the same name?

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Just curious about this statement: “Byzantium is now offered by Cornell and Diehl but my version was by Altadis.”

Do you know for a fact that these actually are “versions“ of the same blend…or do they just happen to both be Balkan-like blends that share the same name?
Same name. Otherwise I don’t know.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There's no perique listed for the Altadis/Sutliff offering. Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, and Virginia are posted for Altadis with the Virginia being replaced with Perique for the C&D. Appears to be discontinued.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
There's no perique listed for the Altadis/Sutliff offering. Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, and Virginia are posted for Altadis with the Virginia being replaced with Perique for the C&D. Appears to be discontinued.
It’s as peppery as Tabasco, and quite delicious.

I bought several pouches of Byzantium when the store closed, for a dollar each.

It’s good stuff, even 17 years later.

Could the Virginias have been smoked?