PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
This is such a cool thread. We ought to experiment and tinker with the leaf more-- after all, this is how perique got started in the first place. Hope your processing is fruitful chilllucky~

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
So I’m bumping this thread for two reasons. 1. So it’s easier for me to find when the time comes to try this myself, I’d like to reference this thread. 2. If anyone missed it, I think it’s a great read.

@chilllucky now that it’s been about 7 months since you last posted, how do you feel the end result came out compared to Acadian Gold? Yours does look much darker but how does it taste? Any familiarity to the commercial stuff? Is it closer to tasting like traditional Perique? I’m interested in hearing your thoughts now that some time has passed. Any plans on trying this again? I think Acadian Gold was made from bright leaf only but I could be wrong, I’d have to check on that fact.

I just recently opened some Acadian Gold which was prompted by the recent clearance sale and I personally think it is one of the most interesting and wonderful Virginia’s that I have ever tried. It’s absolutely divine and I just can’t get enough of the stuff! I really wish that Russ had more time to play around with this process and I truly wish that it would have caught on but on the large scale of things it didn’t really seem to gain much traction like I thought it would have, as someone here said, they thought it was a huge failure... I strongly disagree but in regards to it’s commercial value, I suppose he is right, I never imagined this stuff would go on a clearance sale 4 years after it’s initial release, I expected it to be sold out in days if not hours but I guess the price point was a bit on the high side. Regardless of whether it was a big hit, I think it was a milestone in the pipe tobacco world.

I love fermenting foods and liquids, the process is so much fun, I think fermenting tobacco like this would be the ultimate joy, just to see how the leaf transforms throuout the process. Good stuff!

Thanks for posting this!

Last edited:

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
PM me an address and I'll send you some. I'm happy with how it came out - in that it was my first ever attempt at processing tobacco and it doesn't make me gag to smoke it - although it does not taste as good as Arcadian Gold.

Based on color alone, I probably should've taken it out after 3-4 weeks. That was also the only time it presented that "musty" quality I like in the original. Surely the professional blenders in question cased with something besides distilled water, too.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
So I’m bumping this thread for two reasons. 1. So it’s easier for me to find when the time comes to try this myself, I’d like to reference this thread. 2. If anyone missed it, I think it’s a great read.

@chilllucky now that it’s been about 7 months since you last posted, how do you feel the end result came out compared to Acadian Gold? Yours does look much darker but how does it taste? Any familiarity to the commercial stuff? Is it closer to tasting like traditional Perique? I’m interested in hearing your thoughts now that some time has passed. Any plans on trying this again? I think Acadian Gold was made from bright leaf only but I could be wrong, I’d have to check on that fact.

I just recently opened some Acadian Gold which was prompted by the recent clearance sale and I personally think it is one of the most interesting and wonderful Virginia’s that I have ever tried. It’s absolutely divine and I just can’t get enough of the stuff! I really wish that Russ had more time to play around with this process and I truly wish that it would have caught on but on the large scale of things it didn’t really seem to gain much traction like I thought it would have, as someone here said, they thought it was a huge failure... I strongly disagree but in regards to it’s commercial value, I suppose he is right, I never imagined this stuff would go on a clearance sale 4 years after it’s initial release, I expected it to be sold out in days if not hours but I guess the price point was a bit on the high side. Regardless of whether it was a big hit, I think it was a milestone in the pipe tobacco world.

I love fermenting foods and liquids, the process is so much fun, I think fermenting tobacco like this would be the ultimate joy, just to see how the leaf transforms throuout the process. Good stuff!

Thanks for posting this!
Yes, Acadian Gold was made using only brights from Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.