British pipes. —— a Hypothetical

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I would look at this hypothetical in a somewhat pedantic manner.

1. The best strategy to handle a windfall inheritance is to invest - Not waste it in temporary frivolous activities

2. If someone is not interested in history or aesthetics why should he buy old British wood? He is much better served by buying current White Spots, contemporary artisans, Castello, Savinelli Giubileo D’Oro or for that matter any $100+ pipe which generally gives a good smoke

3. Even if it is assumed that an old British wood works for him, there cannot be a consensus

4. I have a motley collection of pipes - Some old Brit woods, some newer Brit woods, legendary Scandinavian artisans, modern American artisans, Italian and Irish factory pipes across the full range, some American factory pipes, a bunch of meerschaums, and even a couple of cobs. They all smoke well. So it’s less on the manufacturer and more on the smoker

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You're telling me that Les Wood's wife Dolly Wood did the pipe carving for Ferndown pipes? Uh, I never heard this before. I associate Dollywood with Dolly Parton, but I live to be educated. Tell me more?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Don't want to hijack the thread but I am fascinated by the stripped down egg in the middle. Sort of a harbinger of popular workhorse briars and meers today. What year? how heavt?
Here you go

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
You're telling me that Les Wood's wife Dolly Wood did the pipe carving for Ferndown pipes? Uh, I never heard this before. I associate Dollywood with Dolly Parton, but I live to be educated. Tell me more?
I think she did all the finishing, and in Les’ words she was the best finisher at the Dunhill factory when they worked there together.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
In pipedia it says that it is a team effort. I think I read from R. C. Hacker that Dolly Wood made the pipes and that Les did the metal work. But now I have no way to check, so forget it, I must have been wrong. In the future if I find that information I will copy it, but maybe I made it up

Reactions: mso489 and Ahi Ka

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I think she did all the finishing, and in Les’ words she was the best finisher at the Dunhill factory when they worked there together.

I think Bill Ashton Taylor also said that his wife had a much better ability to find defects in a pipe than he had and that's why she did quality control.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
In pipedia it says that it is a team effort. I think I read from R. C. Hacker that Dolly Wood made the pipes and that Les did the metal work. But now I have no way to check, so forget it, I must have been wrong. In the future if I find that information I will copy it, but maybe I made it up
From the thread linked above:

“…the briar is from Italy turned in the UK by me silver was made by me but I have to tell the truth dolly (that's my wife) and she is responsible for all the finishing as she worked at dunhills at the same time as me and was the top finisher I turned the bowls and made the M/P took them to pumicing. Dolly would take over from there and give them back to me for the silver work. Reg les"

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
If esthetics are less important than smoking qualities I'd be going with Barling. Within the industry they were the 400 lb gorilla. But much depends on what your friend thinks of as esthetically pleasing. Any of the top marques could fit the bill. If you like sandblasts, it would have to be Dunhill. Those gnarly old pre war shell blasts can't be beat. If that's not a concern, then Comoy would certainly fit the bill, as their styling and smoking properties are excellent. Leeds era Ben Wades and fabulous smokers, many with quite open draws. And as been pointed out, BBB was no slouch, certainly no in the early decades of the last century, Sasieni made a unique line of pipes, Loewes are flat out beautiful, and the wood on the Charatan is exceptional, though the stems are not of the highest quality materials, which is also true of Sasieni.

I used to know a few Dunhill dealers, one of whom was one of their top tier dealers, selling some 1600 Dunhills in one year. They all smoked Barling for their personal use. And each of these gentlemen expressed the following in similar terms. Different pipemakers had different philosophies. With Sasieni and Charatan, the wood was more important than the stems. With Dunhill, the stems were more important than the wood. With Barling it was all important.

YMMV
WOW! Thanks for the post.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Interesting. There is no young guy and there is no inheritance. This is just a hypothetical. I have a preference among old britwood, but it rests on a thin foundation. I have a number of British makes, but nowhere near enough to come to any conclusions. I had one Dunhill shell circa 1966, but it tasted so weird I got rid of it. I’ve had a number of Charatans and a couple of Upsalls, but have not been especially impressed . At the moment, I am on a Sasieni jag, but they are few and far between.
Special thanks to Jesse, convincing as always. I may want to try some old Barling.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
New artisan pipe makers have tremendous skills, better engineering and vulcanite, but briar is at a premium.
Even so, I typically pick up an older pipe 90 out of 100 times. I sold some of my modern artisan pipes, just because they weren't getting used. I'm standard shapes guy, thats what pulls my trigger. I can look at a Comoy's or Sasieni stem logo all day and marvel. I'm sure that colors my perception on how they smoke. Stamped stem logos just seem 2nd rate (Charatan, Barling's). But, those are my tastes. In fact, I have three Artisan pipes (M. Kyriazanos, Vollmer & Nillson and Jack Howell). The Kyriazanos is a copy of a 1920's Comoys, same for the Jack Howell. The Volllmer & Nillson is close to a Sasieni Ashford. I have a Royal Oak Briars (student of Micheal Lindner), who made me a modern Comoy's 499. The Royal Oaks briar smoked better than the 90 year old Comoy's, so I kept it. (and, it has zero resale...)

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Interesting. There is no young guy and there is no inheritance. This is just a hypothetical. I have a preference among old britwood, but it rests on a thin foundation. I have a number of British makes, but nowhere near enough to come to any conclusions. I had one Dunhill shell circa 1966, but it tasted so weird I got rid of it. I’ve had a number of Charatans and a couple of Upsalls, but have not been especially impressed . At the moment, I am on a Sasieni jag, but they are few and far between.
Special thanks to Jesse, convincing as always. I may want to try some old Barling.
I would put Comoy on par with Barlings, Sasienis and Charatans, if you're talking OLD (family era) Britwood
There is also BBB, GBD, Orlik, Loewe, Ben Wade, Bewlay, Gluckstein and a myriad other 2nd tier producers

But if you're looking at the creme de la creme you could do worse than follow @sablebrush52's suggestions

Reactions: sablebrush52

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
I keep close track on the estate market, well a couple sources anyway, and one thing I notice is that when a Sasieni comes available, it is snapped up toute suite. (With the exception of one that was recently listed on this forum for a few days recently, which I kick myself for not buying). I have 3 or 4 already but I still suffer from lusting for more. My strategy, not having infinite finances, is to sell one pipe for each new estate that I lust after. Just trying to gradually improve the smoking qualities of my collection.

Reactions: AroEnglish