Briar "dot" for 2017 Savinelli sistina 670.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
Hey guys. I fell in love with a flawlessly made Savinelli pipe at my local cigar/pipe store. The pipe guy said he didn't know much about it, they had it for 7-8 years, and an old employee who brought it in labeled it in correctly and priced it randomly. The bowl is 100% perfectly leveled. Inside the bowl was flawless with a bunch of engraved dots. The shank and stem were perfect, pipe cleaner went through without a hitch. It was well made! It's a Sistina 670, and I believe from 2017 or around that time. I've searched the internet all day and evening but have not been able to find out what the quality of briar is or where this pipe lines up amidst Savinellis.

Thanks guys.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

The Savinelli Sistina takes is name from the famous Sistine Chapel, inside the Vatican City. Built between 1475 and 1481 during Pope Sisto VI time and painted by Michelangelo between 1508 and 1512. The pipes come in a deep burgundy stain which has been given a beautiful Rusticated finish and finished with Savinelli's trademark high gloss lacquer. The pipes have an orange band sandwiched between two brass rings that contrast the black acrylic stems.

Savinelli pipes are 100% Made in Italy with passion, elegance, and attention to every detail.

Presented in a Savinelli pouch and box.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.

The Savinelli Sistina takes is name from the famous Sistine Chapel, inside the Vatican City. Built between 1475 and 1481 during Pope Sisto VI time and painted by Michelangelo between 1508 and 1512. The pipes come in a deep burgundy stain which has been given a beautiful Rusticated finish and finished with Savinelli's trademark high gloss lacquer. The pipes have an orange band sandwiched between two brass rings that contrast the black acrylic stems.

Savinelli pipes are 100% Made in Italy with passion, elegance, and attention to every detail.

Presented in a Savinelli pouch and box.
I read that when I found the links above googling. It doesn't tell me if the briary is a 3 dot, 8 dot, 000 dot though. It doesn't even state if they are low end middle end or high-end amidst the Savinelli lineup.
I came across a PDF document for some store for all 2017 Savinelli Pipes. It said $45 cost and $75 retail for the 670. Don't know if that's USD or Euro "I think it's irrelevant though" I have no interest in it's value price-wise, I am just curious about the quality of the briar and where this pipe lands amongst Savinselli pipes.

Reactions: Hillcrest
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I read that when I found the links above googling. It doesn't tell me if the briary is a 3 dot, 8 dot, 000 dot though. It doesn't even state if they are low end middle end or high-end amidst the Savinelli lineup.
I came across a PDF document for some store for all 2017 Savinelli Pipes. It said $45 cost and $75 retail for the 670. Don't know if that's USD or Euro "I think it's irrelevant though" I have no interest in it's value price-wise, I am just curious about the quality of the briar and where this pipe lands amongst Savinselli pipes.

I think you may be conflating some different things. If you are seeing marks inside the chamber of the pipe, they are very likely chuck marks made when setting up the drilling.

Savinelli has lines of pipes that have brass dots on their stems. The Punto Oro line has one brass dot; the Giubileo d’Oro (the highest grade of the regular line of pipes) has three brass dots—additionally, the shank can be stamped with stars to indicate an even higher grade; the Nonpareil line has two dots on the stem. I have seen Punto Oro pipes (or ones with 18k gold bands with two dots).

The Autograph line are freehand pipes and the highest grade. These have two tiers of grades (gruppo in Italian). The first are stamped 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 in ascending order of quality.The highest grade level would be 0, 00, 000, and ultimately Extraordinaire (Eccezionale in Italian). Quadruple zeros (0000) do exist and were for sale via a dealer in Texas—I believe this morphed into the Eccezionale line.

Your pipe would be considered a “regular” tiered pipe from a particular line, in this instance, Sistina.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
I have a 7dot brigham acadian. A peterson 307 standard system, 4th generstion 1855 etc (amongst many others) is this savonelli in-line with those pipes? Or the 7dot brigham?

That will help me understand better.

I think all of my pipes are production pipes. Would a smoker even know the difference between 3dot and 7dot briar?. I I imagine it wouldn't be a hand made pipe until its teetering on $600 CAD or more?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have a 7dot brigham acadian. A peterson 307 standard system, 4th generstion 1855 etc (amongst many others) is this savonelli in-line with those pipes? Or the 7dot brigham?

I think all of my pipes are production pipes. Would a smoker even know the difference between 3dot and 7dot briar?. I I imagine it wouldn't be a hand made pipe until its teetering on $600 CAD or more?

I’m not sure if I understand exactly what you’re trying to determine. The Savinelli Sistina is a pipe from a line that was created to celebrate something from Italy’s history, like quite a number of their other designs. It is not an upper tier pipe like the Punto Oro, Giubileo d’Oro, or Autograph line; the Sistina retailed for a little over $100.00 US and would be considered a “regular” pipe (above basket level, but not high grade). With the higher grade pipes, you are usually paying for less flaws in the briar, or a unique design.

The pic below is a Peterson pipe, but it shows chuck marks inside the chamber. It is related to drilling and has nothing to do with quality grade. I suspect you saw something similar inside the chamber of your Sistina.

Natural-stain-in-bowl-Antique-1905-chuck-marks.jpg

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
You may be getting mixed up with the "dots", maybe you are getting it confused with Sasieni pipes. Sasieni is a well known English pipe manufacturer.

Reactions: anotherbob

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

Yes, its a production pipe but one created to celebrate a special event as opposed to "here's this years selection". So in that regard it is just above a run of the mill production pipe. The Peterson 307 System is a standard but a classic shape that is and will always be popular. I'm not familiar with the other two. I would smoke and enjoy all of them and periodically clean them when needed. My Savinelli 2614KS Dry System is 40 yrs old and still looks good and going strong. You can't go wrong with a Peterson or Savinelli generally. (That statement may spark postings of every exception known to man but is generally true). Read the Show us your Savinelli thread and Peterson threads.

Reactions: Sacred_summit
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
The IronMonkey said it best, but let me break it down for you, as it seems like you want to know if the pipe is made of quality briar and where it sits in the line of Savinelli pipes.

Savinelli - Autograph: Awesome!!!
Savinelli - Giubileo d’Oro: Excellent!
Savinelli - Punto Oro: Great
Savinelli - all other lines: very good.

Savinelli makes excellent pipes whether they're their top tier pipes or a lower line of pipes. I have several Savinelli's that range from high grade to the lowest grade. My 645 bent apple short pipe that I bought for $52 back in 2010 is one of my best smoking pipes, and one of my favorite pipes still. It is clearly not on the same level as my high-grade Savinelli, but I'd put that pipe up against any of my other pipes for best smoker.

If you like the pipe... buy it! In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Savinelli. Don't try comparing it to other pipes, just smoke it and enjoy it.

Reactions: Briarcutter

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
remember though that briar grades are just a matter of opinion. Honestly imagine if you went to a restaurant and the dishes were listed on the menu with different numbers of stars, but those stars represented the chefs opinion of the dishes and not the customers. That's about the same as different pipe makers briar grading system.

Reactions: Uguccione and FLDRD

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
remember though that briar grades are just a matter of opinion. Honestly imagine if you went to a restaurant and the dishes were listed on the menu with different numbers of stars, but those stars represented the chefs opinion of the dishes and not the customers. That's about the same as different pipe makers briar grading system.
Good point but ... you're better off ordering the fish earlier in the week than at the end ;) !! (Fish deliveries are done on Tuesdays and Wednesdays after weekend catch).

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob