PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
For an experienced pipe smoker, buying an expensive pipe, a coating makes zero sense. You buy that ultra high end expensive pipe to experience it, in it’s full glory, and with an uncoated chamber, it’s like you make it your own too, forming a carbon layer over time.
An experienced pipe smoker wouldn't make assumptions about other smokers. Options are available as all smokes don't like the same things.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I take off most the bowl coating but I tend to leave it at the bottom. I figure that helps protect against lighter burns. It probably makes no difference but that is what I do. I prefer bare bowls myself.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Most bowl coatings are “neutral” and don’t impart any taste or smell.
But I’ve had one which tasted and smelt like it was made of rotting fish guts 😝
Thankfully it was an easy fix with a piece of sandpaper

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
If I smoke a vaper blend or something mild I can taste even the most neutral ones a tad. I tend to use a stronger blend for the initial smoke. Its a bummer when you are excited to have a new pipe and your first smoke tastes off.

Some ebay pipes did taste terrible and some even blistered where flame touched them a bit. I dont know what the mystery coating was but I took some sandpaper to it and all was well. Luckily they were not trying to hide problems.

PiperCalvinist

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Most of my pipes are Vauen, which all come with a bowl coating. Their newer bowl coatings are black and some of the older ones are grey. I have no idea what the old coatings are. There was never an off taste I experienced from one though.

I have a few unfinished Savinelli seconds that came without a bowl coating and didn't notice much of a difference. It may have taken a bit longer to form a bit of a cake, but I don't like more than a thin layer.

On one of the early pipesmagazine.com radio shows Brian Levine said he preferred bowl coatings and he believes it makes the first five or six smokes of a break in time more enjoyable.
I don’t have a non-coated pipe experience to compare it to, but I didn’t taste anything foul in my first bowl.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes
When I had a morta pipe by Mark Tinsky burn out on me on my very first smoke, he graciously offered to make me a new one. I asked him whether coating the bowl would prevent burnout. He said that the coatings would not prevent burnout, but was to merely mask the new wood flavors that so many people seem to have a problem with. But, he said that he would coat the replacement morta. The new morta burned out also in the first smoke, but don't tell him. I didn't want him to fret over it. Georged explained that the morta that US pipemakers were using was inferior, so I just left it at that.

But, for me, if bowl coatings are just to mask the aroma of burning wood in the first few smokes, I don't want it. They are almost all made with gum Arabic as the binder. So, a damp rag will get it out if you prefer. It won't hurt the pipe to smoke without it, but I prefer to taste the briar. I am a weirdo that loves the aroma of the first few smokes.

If you get a custom pipe made, they almost always ask if you want a coating.

bpinkstaff

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
As Chasing pointed out, coatings are about protection.

But, if you smoke carefully with a new pipe, there is no need for it.

Uncoated chambers also allow you to experience the natural flavors of briar, that typically get masked with a coating.

For an experienced pipe smoker, buying an expensive pipe, a coating makes zero sense. You buy that ultra high end expensive pipe to experience it, in it’s full glory, and with an uncoated chamber, it’s like you make it your own too, forming a carbon layer over time.

P.S. Yeah, those pricey Dunhills have coatings which is odd, and the Danish like coatings too… The Italians don’t like coatings, but you can occasionally see them. Viva La Italy! 🇮🇹 LOL 😝

Oh my a Castello with a chamber coating, that would be horrific! LOL 😝
Great write up thank you!

• Love
Reactions: PipeIT

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
An experienced pipe smoker wouldn't make assumptions about other smokers. Options are available as all smokes don't like the same things.

You are absolutely right, I shouldn’t of said that, let people choose what they like.

Best just to explain the reasons/choices pros and cons, and let others make up their mind based on unbiased good information. I will certainly do this in the future.

Thanks 🤙

Reactions: PiperCalvinist

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think more people are doing it because it protects the pipe during break in. Not that they really need it but you don't know who will buy the pipe and if they're really a freight train pretending to be a person. The people who don't like it can just clean it themselves. So all in all makes sense to put something like that in the pipe. Remember you don't know if the pipe is the first one a smoker has ever owned.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I notice it more on darker pipes. I think its often done to cover bleed over from the stain. Some brands tend to only do it on their darker pipes. There is also likely some marketing decisions involved as well as coatings give a more finished look, especially to a darker pipe.

Roach1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
Its up to smoker and what they prefer. I myself am getting back into pipe smoking and most of my pipes were lightky smoked. During the cleaning process I reamed the old cake that was built over 15 year and was very dusty. I then washed the bowl wirh warm water and then sanded the bowl. If I want a coating I will use honey or be careful the first few bowls. My two cents. Enjoy your journal.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I hate em' all! Leave em bare! Dammit.

Yogurt, Bill Gates "Apeel", asbestos, glass fibers, recycled tampon materials, peanut butter, honey, cigar ash, JB Weld, Gorilla Glue, McDonalds secret sauce, etc....keep that garbage out of pipes! Oh! And I forgot to mention shellac and wood stain too!