PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I recently ordered some Boswell tobaccos and decided to get there Premium Burley since I’ve never pursued a pure or Burley centric blend.
The description on Boswell’s site does not mention any topping, only “A carefully balanced blend creating a mild but full bodied flavor. A Kentucky Burley ripened to the fullest flavor.”
But, out of my storage jar it has a mild, sweet almost vanilla note. After the char lite, it presented a rounded full tobacco flavor with a bread-like sweetness. I focused on smoking this tobacco slowly dumping out the ash half way through and running a pipe cleaner down the stem to gather moisture. After the relight, the sweetness faded to a earthy tobacco with some nuttiness. Overall, I really enjoyed this tobacco and am interested in trying more burley centric blends.
What is your favorite burley centric blend?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Good write up. Try some of these next

Amphora Burley
Macbaren Burley Flake
Solani Burley Flake
Sutliff Duke Albert

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I've been meaning to order some tobacco from Boswells, but never done it yet. I understand that they make a good quality product as are their pipes. I recommend MacBaren HH Burley Flake and Sutliff's MATCH Edgeworth Ready Rubbed (I think they just call it Sutliff Ready Rubbed now).

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I've been meaning to order some tobacco from Boswells, but never done it yet. I understand that they make a good quality product as are their pipes. I recommend MacBaren HH Burley Flake and Sutliff's MATCH Edgeworth Ready Rubbed (I think they just call it Sutliff Ready Rubbed now).
Thanks, looks like the MacBaren Burley Flake has three recommendations. It’s on my ‘baccy shopping list.
Definitely try some Boswell tobacco. Along with the Burley order came some Northwoods and Titus English blends. I’ve smoked both. The Northwoods is really wonderful.
While stationed in DC for Graduate school, I made several weekend visits to Boswell’s store in Chambersburg. Great family business. Needless to say, a pipe or two was purchased on those visits?.

Reactions: Streeper541

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm definitely partial to burley, and that sounds like a good one. My list would go on, but two that come to mind as instantly enjoyable are Peterson 3-P and Peterson Irish Flake. Tabac-Manil Semois thick and medium cut are unusual but delicious burley variants from Belgium. C&D has a long list of distinctive burley blends -- Tuggle Hall, Stratfordshire, Old Joe Krantz, and Billy Budd among many.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I need to get more burley’s myself. But, one thing I’ve noticed is every Boswell blend I’ve tried has that familiar sweet to it, both in smell and taste. I’m not suggesting it makes them bad, but perhaps predictable. I’ll still smoke what I’ve got but likely not adding new blends as much as ordering maybe one or two I would continue smoking.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I need to get more burley’s myself. But, one thing I’ve noticed is every Boswell blend I’ve tried has that familiar sweet to it, both in smell and taste. I’m not suggesting it makes them bad, but perhaps predictable. I’ll still smoke what I’ve got but likely not adding new blends as much as ordering maybe one or two I would continue smoking.
There are few aromatic blends I like that are unique. But, I agree that several (I haven’t tried them all) of them are “similar”. I do like their Northwoods English.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I'm definitely partial to burley, and that sounds like a good one. My list would go on, but two that come to mind as instantly enjoyable are Peterson 3-P and Peterson Irish Flake. Tabac-Manil Semois thick and medium cut are unusual but delicious burley variants from Belgium. C&D has a long list of distinctive burley blends -- Tuggle Hall, Stratfordshire, Old Joe Krantz, and Billy Budd among many.
Thanks! I love Belgium beer; have to look up the Tabac-Manil Semois.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
There are few aromatic blends I like that are unique. But, I agree that several (I haven’t tried them all) of them are “similar”. I do like their Northwoods English.
I think I enjoy the pipes more than I enjoy the blends. Makes some great pipes, IMO. So, if spending money at Boswell’s, I plan to focus on pipes more than the tobacco.

Reactions: Fralphog

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I recently ordered some Boswell tobaccos and decided to get there Premium Burley since I’ve never pursued a pure or Burley centric blend.
The description on Boswell’s site does not mention any topping, only “A carefully balanced blend creating a mild but full bodied flavor. A Kentucky Burley ripened to the fullest flavor.”
But, out of my storage jar it has a mild, sweet almost vanilla note. After the char lite, it presented a rounded full tobacco flavor with a bread-like sweetness. I focused on smoking this tobacco slowly dumping out the ash half way through and running a pipe cleaner down the stem to gather moisture. After the relight, the sweetness faded to a earthy tobacco with some nuttiness. Overall, I really enjoyed this tobacco and am interested in trying more burley centric blends.
What is your favorite burley centric blend?
It's a shame Lane Limited Ready Rubbed is discontinued. That is some fantastic burley pipe tobacco. When Prince Albert was MIA for that year I panicked because it was my everyday smoke. I bought five tubs of Ready Rubbed because I liked it also and was planning on it replacing PA. I smoked a tub and traded stuff for another two. Now I have two tubs left. I'll smoke one and deep cellar the last one for a rainy day.

Reactions: Fralphog and seanv

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I've been meaning to try the Irish Flake. I'm really digging the strong flakes like FVF and 1792 flake. Now Wessex Burley Slice is my favorite burley flake though, but it doesn't have that "umph" that I crave when I'm smoking. I think thats why I like Pegasus as my everyday smoke now. Does that Irish Flake have a good nic punch? I've read that it does but I've smoked other blends that people say it's strong and I smoke the whole bag or tin with no satisfaction.

Reactions: Fralphog

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have some premium burley on hand but have yet to try it! I’ll have to give it a go!

My favorites include PS312 Toasted Burley if you can still find any. That and Solani Aged Burley Flake, MacBaren HH Burley Flake, HU Dockworker, Peterson 3P, and 5 bros. are my go to burley based blends.

If you don’t mind that little kiss of topping LJ Peretti Cuban Mixture, GH Brown Flake Unscented, and HU Makhuwa are also excellent blends.

Reactions: seanv