PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Tobacco for pipes are not pretty common here, I have one pack of Danish Cherry vanilla mix tobacco.
G'day and welcome from Australia
z-aussie bikini girls with flag.jpg
Wish that I was smoking a pipe at 29yo.
I was seriously addicted to cigarettes. Switching to a pipe freed me from addiction.

There's not a lot of choice of pipe tobacco here in Oz either.
Once I found overseas tobacconists on-line, a whole new world of variety opened up.
Up until then, I'd not ever tried an English, Balkan or VaPer [Virginia/Perique] blend. [I'd not ever heard of Latakia or Perique for that matter]

If you're allowed to import tobacco I'd recommend www.tobaccopipes.com
If laws are tight [like here in Oz] I'd recommend www.4noggins.com - TobaccoPipes has a much bigger range but 4noggins has plenty from which to choose, including some very good house blends.

Also, www.tobaccoreviews.com is an excellent resource for pipe smokers, helping one to choose previously unknown blends. I pay particular attention to JimInks reviews. [Read one of his reviews and you'll see why]

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thanks much for your compliments for this pipe. I like it too, the bowl is pretty deep, it's not too hard to light it up. Smaller size pipe is way harder to light up
Learning to pack a bowl 'just right' does take time.
Most of us struggle at first but with practice, there comes a time when you find that you're able to pack a bowl without any concentration. Muscle memory takes over.

One tip; before lighting a bowl, drawer [suck] on the pipe to test.
If it's like drinking a milkshake through a straw it's just right.
If it's like drinking a thick shake through a straw then the tobacco has been packed too tight.

Interesting that you find the bigger bowl easiest to pack and light.
Just the other day I was discussing this with a mate and I thought that a small bowl would be easier for a beginner [shows what I know huh? lol]