PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fontbandit

Lurker
Jan 24, 2022
Boston, MA
fontbandit.com
Longtime forum reader, first time poster!

My friend and I are restoring a Barling BB&S Londoner 403T from my father's collection. There's a wooden band around the shank, and how it's supposed to be finished is a mystery!

The bottom of the band is smooth and black, like the stamped area on the bottom of the shank. The top of the band might be rusticated, but it's hard to tell if the missing paint is intentional, or from wear.image000000-3.jpg

From your eyes/knowledge, should the entire band be smooth and black, should it be all natural, or should it be a mix of smooth and a mix of rough?

The only online reference photo we've found is this one, with an entirely unpainted wooden band:

...but that can't be right for this particular pipe, because the band is definitely showing signs of black paint:

How would you recommend restoring the band?

Thank you!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
62iz7z.jpg

@sablebrush52 needs to be summoned

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Looks to me like an area where the black stain came off. You can see the original stuff left in the stamping. ?

Reactions: fontbandit

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Jesse (sablebrush52) is the God of Barling pipes and will be able to answer your question. We'd love to see pictures of your progress on this restoration, and the proper place to post this/it would be under "Pipe Restoration and Maintenance", as opposed to Tobacciana History

Reactions: fontbandit

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Gotta love Smoking Pipes. The pipe is stamped Denmark and was manufactured by Nording and they describe it as "Brit made". Notice that the finish is two toned, with the smooth portion left lighter than the sandblasted surface.

This pipe is the same one as in the Flicker page. Either that, or it's a one in a million chance that the stain issues are in the exact same pattern on two pipes.

You can go either way with it depending on your wants. Stain it dark, or try to remove the dark areas and stain it lighter. Either would be correct. Personally I'd keep the smooth area lighter, which is the more common approach, but it would be easier to stick with dark.

fontbandit

Lurker
Jan 24, 2022
Boston, MA
fontbandit.com
Gotta love Smoking Pipes. The pipe is stamped Denmark and was manufactured by Nording and they describe it as "Brit made". Notice that the finish is two toned, with the smooth portion left lighter than the sandblasted surface.

This pipe is the same one as in the Flicker page. Either that, or it's a one in a million chance that the stain issues are in the exact same pattern on two pipes.

You can go either way with it depending on your wants. Stain it dark, or try to remove the dark areas and stain it lighter. Either would be correct. Personally I'd keep the smooth area lighter, which is the more common approach, but it would be easier to stick with dark.
@sablebrush52 Thank you! The pipe I attached to my Forum post is the same one in my Flickr feed — Flickr just gave me more photo upload slots so I could show more photos of it.

The worn away black on the shank extension is pretty glossy, and I wonder if it’s paint instead of stain. I do really like the two-toned look and wonder if I should just lightly sand it and leave it…although it probably wouldn’t get the black out of the letters of the Denmark stamp, so as you said, the answer might just be to paint the whole band a solid glossy black.

fontbandit

Lurker
Jan 24, 2022
Boston, MA
fontbandit.com
I'll close the loop here and will post under the Pipe Repair header with future restorations, starting with this Comoy's Sunrise Grain 441!

Here's how the Barling BB&S Londoner 403T turned out.

We decided to remove as much of the black stain as we could without harming the pipe, because the unstained ring around the shank where the pipe was likely taped up during its original staining looked pretty cool natural.

Thank you, all!

2022.01.18_Pipe restoration, BB&S (Bill Barling & Sons) Londoner 403T_02a.jpeg2022.01.18_Pipe restoration, BB&S (Bill Barling & Sons) Londoner 403T_02b.jpeg2022.01.18_Pipe restoration, BB&S (Bill Barling & Sons) Londoner 403T_03a.jpeg
2022.01.18_Pipe restoration, BB&S (Bill Barling & Sons) Londoner 403T_03b.jpeg
2022.01.18_Pipe restoration, BB&S (Bill Barling & Sons) Londoner 403T_05a.jpeg2022.01.18_Pipe restoration, BB&S (Bill Barling & Sons) Londoner 403T_05b.jpeg2022.01.18_Pipe restoration, BB&S (Bill Barling & Sons) Londoner 403T_06a.jpeg2022.01.18_Pipe restoration, BB&S (Bill Barling & Sons) Londoner 403T_06b.jpeg
2022.01.18_Pipe restoration, BB&S (Bill Barling & Sons) Londoner 403T_09a.jpeg2022.01.18_Pipe restoration, BB&S (Bill Barling & Sons) Londoner 403T_09b.jpeg2022.01.18_Pipe restoration, BB&S (Bill Barling & Sons) Londoner 403T_10a.jpeg2022.01.18_Pipe restoration, BB&S (Bill Barling & Sons) Londoner 403T_10b.jpeg