Balkan Sobriane & Esoterica; What's the Deal?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Because, they sell out so fast to their regulars. I know when my B&M gets them in stock, they will let me know when I walk in. The owner would never have to sell them to China at super marked up prices, he's a good dude and would rather look out for his customers. I'm sure you'll find most B&Ms to be like this. And as for me personally, I wouldn't sell to China because it's scams galore.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hol'up. ✋🤨 Esoterica is that popular with Chinese pipe smokers?
What suggests this, and are they actually consuming all of it or reselling?
We've had several first time posters here from China trying to buy it. A couple of local B&M owners I know couldn't get it off of their shelves until they were contacted by Chinese buyers. With China being the world's largest consumer of tobacco, its no surprise. GH supply dwindled stateside for a couple of years due to Chinese interest as well.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Been smoking a pipe since 1962 (not the same one, of course). I miss the ol' OTCs of yesteryear, more than any rarity of today. They just seemed to be more fun. Smelled better, too--more "pipey." I still indulge in what's left of them, at a ratio of 10:1 vs. the esoterics, of which I have closet full. They're too valuable to smoke. (Joke, I think.)

To the OP: experiment. That's what everyone else does. I've never had a recommendation that worked out for me, none that I remember. Below, one of my favorites.

#10.jpg

Last edited: