PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I may be going to Apex NC next month to visit my dad. He pre-inherited me his pipes last Thanksgiving, and started all this that led me to find y’all.
The wife found the flight vouchers I had from my flight that visit hitting a coyote on the runway, and they’re expiring this fall.
Anyone know of good B&M’s, or other pipe/tobacco related spots one should check out in the area?
I know last I visited him, such excursions weren’t even on my radar.

Reactions: JOHN72

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
5hrs and I’ll be on my way, wil be in area better part of a week. Gonna hit Pipes by George for sure-it’s only a couple miles from the Raleigh Harley dealer I don’t have a shirt from.

Anyone know if the Tobacconists of Cary/Pipe and Leaf is worth a stop, or is it just a cigar shop with a tin or two. Their site looks like they may be a Nording dealer, but I’ve got enough freehands from my father that are true to the heyday.

Reactions: JOHN72
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you want to visit an old school B&M, Pipes by George in Raleigh is the place. If you want a low key and comfortable smoking lounge, the ship right there in Apex is excellent. And if you want a night time excursion with alcohol secured, Havana Deluxe is very nice. I've spent considerable time at all of them while traveling to Raleigh in the past and endorse them all.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
If you want to visit an old school B&M, Pipes by George in Raleigh is the place. If you want a low key and comfortable smoking lounge, the ship right there in Apex is excellent. And if you want a night time excursion with alcohol secured, Havana Deluxe is very nice. I've spent considerable time at all of them while traveling to Raleigh in the past and endorse them all.
Thanks, I’ll check out the apex spot!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Pipes By George didn’t disappoint. Nice guys, wish they had a little deeper selection, struck out on a few I was looking for but got a tin of SG FVF and GH Bobs Chocolate Flake to support and try new stuff (even if it wasn’t the new stuff I wanted to try).
436A6729-3AC6-4709-BF23-D36662E56401.jpeg

@hoosierpipeguy If the lounge in Apex is the one right off 64, I didn’t swing in, looked more cigar lounge than I wanted to give up time hanging with dad for.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Pipes By George didn’t disappoint. Nice guys, wish they had a little deeper selection, struck out on a few I was looking for but got a tin of SG FVF and GH Bobs Chocolate Flake to support and try new stuff (even if it wasn’t the new stuff I wanted to try).
View attachment 249093

@hoosierpipeguy If the lounge in Apex is the one right off 64, I didn’t swing in, looked more cigar lounge than I wanted to give up time hanging with dad for.
It is a smoking lounge. I always smoked my pipe in there. They have a modest but decent selection of pipe tobacco, pipes and accessories.

Reactions: Sobrbiker
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’ll check it out next time I’m out.
Now I’m just stuck in terminal in Baltimore (rerouted) wishing I could anything!
There are so few places you can smoke these days, especially in North Carolina, I was primarily looking for a place I could sit in a comfortable chair, drink a beverage, watch TV, had WiFi so I could use my Ipad and enjoy some friendly camaraderie with some fellow smokers. Pipes by George didn't check off those boxes for the most part. The Apex store checked them all off very well. It's almost impossible to find a hotel in NC where you can smoke these days.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
View attachment 249093

I was there yesterday myself. Picked up some Stonehaven, Germain Medium Flake and King Charles. There was some Tilbury and Margate but I have pleny of that.

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
Get on I-40, drive west for 40 min and you are at JR discount outlet. Never been there. But it gets talked about occasionally. Not sure why. I drive by that place all the time. Oh, traffic sucks due to I-40 construction right now.
You have 2 different JR's within about the same drive time . 40West near Graham/Mebane and then the one off 95 in Smithfield. They are predominantly cigar but carry some pipe tobaccos from Mac Baren, CAO, Half n Half, Sutliff, Erin Moore etc. also some OTC offerings. The smoking area is comfortable at the 95 location. Theres an eaterie next door with a small tavern attached also.

Reactions: dublinpiper90