Any Guesses as to What this Mystery Object Might Be?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Looks like a Celtic compass. To navigate the universe. Although if you look at it from another angle, it looks like a Celtic compass, to travel the universe, in boat, or canoe, or by hot-air balloon. Although if you look at it the other way around, I don't know what the shit, that is, nor do I give a shit.images.jpg

Last edited:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@Hillcrest : Those golden days at school, summers playing cricket or competitive hobbit hurling. Winters sliding around a muddy rugby pitch realizing what the first day of the Battle Ypers must have resembled. The younger generation don't realize how good they have it!
Rugby on a frozen muddy field in February, getting twatted by the ball on the inner thigh, dead legs, school dinners, cold showers & corporal punishment. Golden days indeed. They were hard days, brutal days & they were the best of days! Kids today don’t know they’re born.

Thanks to our generation of teachers, we inherited the English sense of fair play, sportsmanship & playing the game for the game’s sake!

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Title edited to l/c some words.

All of the found ones are less than 3" tall!

This Roman artefact is apparently one of 33 found in Britain over the years and its purpose has mystified the experts......but they never asked the experts on this Forum so guys, what do you suppose this might be used for?

View attachment 306631

I initially thought it might be a rattle for a baby but dismissed that idea as I think it's made of bronze so perhaps too heavy so my guess would be something to do with a game of chance as the Romans were known for their love of gambling. I think the different sized holes (I count at least 3) support that theory.

Here's the full story....

Jay.
I seem to remember seeing this on ANCIENT ALIENS. If I remember correctly, no one knows what it is. puffy

Reactions: mawnansmiff

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I wouldn't be able to tolerate corporal punishment.
Why not?
You misbehaved & if you got caught, you'd get a slap. Simple & in most cases, an effective deterrent. Don't get me wrong, I didn't go to the same school as condor, where they crucified new boy's against the wall! Lol
At my school it was a rap across the knuckles or a slipper on the arse. Nothing too malicious.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Why not?
You misbehaved & if you got caught, you'd get a slap. Simple & in most cases, an effective deterrent. Don't get me wrong, I didn't go to the same school as condor, where they crucified new boy's against the wall! Lol
At my school it was a rap across the knuckles or a slipper on the arse. Nothing too malicious.
Different culture and expectations. That right is reserved to parents only in my opinion not 'in loco parente'. I have seen examples of stupid people lose control unjustly. And ... I was never in that situation. Its just something I've never liked and the term corporal punishment probably sounds worse than what you described. Sorry ... I probably overreacted.

Reactions: simong

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Why not?
As my parents knew and were friends with all my teachers (I grew up in a town where everyone knew everyone) - not only did I cop it at school but got a second dose when I got home 😢

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I wouldn't be able to tolerate corporal punishment.
You wouldn't have any say in the matter, and back in the day, most parents agreed with corporal punishment at school, mine certainly did.

In fact at one point my father contacted the school and told them to cane me every single day until they were satisfied with my homework!

If I knew I was up for a caning I'd put my rugby shorts on before my trousers just for the extra padding :rolleyes:.

Jay.