PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I think some aros are a lot stronger in ghosting than. I probably smoke about 1/3 lat blends. I put them in my pipes I use for Vapers and burley blends. So far no problems. I would definitely dedicate a pipe to strong aros and lakelands. Its harder to blast lakelands out of a pipe. I use latakia to run them off and then step down to other blends once the lakeland is covered. I have one or two pipes I keep for aros HU Moroccan Bazzar is so strong you can smell it in the pipe well after its somked.

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
Here's the enigmatic situation I'm in:
6:00 AM Irish Flake in blend-dedicated pipe -- perfect
7:30 AM EMP Match in any-blend pipe -- tasted like vanilla
5:00 PM My Mixture 965 in new meerschaum that had vanilla roll cakes last night -- first puffs were good lat flavor, the rest was vanilla
5:30 PM Burley "OHM Natural" Pipe Tobacco (cigarette flavor) -- tasted like vanilla
3:30 AM Nightcap Match in new meerschaum -- tasted like vanilla roll cakes after first few puffs
4:00 AM Nightcap Match in newish clay pipe -- tasted like vanilla roll cakes
4:30 AM Home blend with Rustica -- tasted like it normally does with hints of vanilla

I brush my teeth every day, but I guess a good tongue scrubbing or flat-out mouth rest is in order. I seem to have ghosted my mouth??? I haven't had this happen before but I have only been smoking pipe for 3 months and haven't gotten into aromatics until two nights ago. This is really quite strange and makes me feel like I wasted a bunch of money investing in my favorite English blends. It might be worth mentioning that water still tastes like water, and food flavors in my meals have not been muddled.

Reactions: The Clay King

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Jack, to me that is a lot of smokes in a day and a lot of mixing.
There is palate fatigue.

Id not mix it up so much. Simplify and see what happens.

Also your schedule shows you are smoking a pipe every half an hour at times. Thats smoking fast. You will get less flavor with increased heat. Dry your tobacco some, pack lightly and slow down.

Do you retroinhale? Most the flavor is there.

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
Sigmund,
I didn't even mention the 3 10 minute bowls I had at work. I didn't realize mixing blends throughout the day would conflict my palate. The schedule I provided was just an estimation and the 30 minute intervals was only a convenient way to get my point across, but I do smoke fast and my tongue is definitely burnt. It's not always this bad though. I retohale to the point of burning my nose. I am just going to take today (and maybe tomorrow) off from smoking. And when I get back to it I'll just go to my mixture 965. I really liked that one...

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Sigmund,
I didn't even mention the 3 10 minute bowls I had at work. I didn't realize mixing blends throughout the day would conflict my palate. The schedule I provided was just an estimation and the 30 minute intervals was only a convenient way to get my point across, but I do smoke fast and my tongue is definitely burnt. It's not always this bad though. I retohale to the point of burning my nose. I am just going to take today (and maybe tomorrow) off from smoking. And when I get back to it I'll just go to my mixture 965. I really liked that one...
I go through months of smoking once or twice. Then there'll be weeks straight when I have two pipes a day. I do find taking short breaks helps a lot with discerning tastes and subtly for myself. But to each their own. Currently on a 2 bowls a day binge and loving it!

:)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It depends on you. I don't know what aspects of English you like or even notice. But it's only as dangerous as putting any other new English blend in a pipe. From my experience Balkan just means the blender wants you to focus on the Oriental leafs more. It to me implies they focused more on that part of the blending and want it o stand out more. Though that applies to a good few English blends as well. Generally though calling it Balkan means they want you to associate it with the Classic Balkan Sobraine which was one of those blends that seemed to garner a dedicated following, but when it was made was just their name for their English blend that really wasn't dramatically dissimilar from the standard English blend.
If you've played the Assassins creed games you can apply their moto to pipe tobacco more then anything else. It certainly seems like the moto they use when labeling blends "Nothing is true Everything is Permitted".

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
I like that leathery-oily lat flavor best. I have coffee in my meerschaum in an attempt to draw out the vanilla oil. The pipe smells like vanilla even after a few days and different blends. I just got it last week so it's a big disappointment. Still, I think my taste buds in terms of smoke are cooked. I'm gonna do a sinus rinse as well, because different tobaccos in different pipes still taste like vanilla. Will I ever smoke vanilla roll cakes again? I'm not sure, but it was super delicious.

Reactions: Annaresti Red

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
I got through a bowl of nightcap match today in my "ghosted" meer. I got lat flavors the whole way through. tomorrow i can smoke my nice blends. I limited my smoking for a few days and smoked a couple burley leaves through the pipe. delicious

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
If you get ghosting just grab a cob or another briar pipe for strongly flavored tobaccos. Its a great excuse to buy more pipes!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Dedicating pipes is just one of a dozen or two foolish practices advocated on forums that afflict newcomers.
You obviously don‘t smoke Lakelands or goopy aromatics
Or have bought a heavily ghosted estate 😁

I‘m sure the majority of pipe smokers are NOT members of, or have heard of these Forums
And most have only one or two pipes.
And buy tobacco one pouch/tin at a time
Which was the way I was when I started back in the early ‘70s

Once I started accumulating a few more pipes and a few different genres of tobacco I discovered that dedicating pipes allowed me to smoke bowls without “muddied” flavours

There is absolutely no right or wrong
Do what you are happy doing.
No need to be swayed by what others do.