PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I succumbed to another GBD 9438 this past weekend, a Seventy-Six model. I have two other GBD Seventy-Six models (9676 Colossus & 2006 Bulldog) but had not yet encountered this grade in the 9438 line. I've found that Seventy-Six grade briar is very nice and it's rumored they used Virgin grade briar. My other two smoke wonderfully and I'm hoping this one is no exception.
As you can see from the ad photos, the seller isn't exactly one with a steller reputation on pipe boards (Ebay feedback is excellent), so I rolled the dice. Communication from the seller was excellent and it was shipped very quickly (purchased Sunday PM, delivered Wed to MD). The pipe was packed properly and true to the photos. The pipe needed to be reamed and cleaned, which I prefer doing myself. It had one tiny handling ding not seen in the photos, but that steamed out perfectly. I finished the stem with the final two grades of micromesh as I like that level of shine. The bowl was reamed and is now soaking with Everclear and sea salt.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Congrats Al on another fine acquisition. When I saw the thread title I knew it was you. LOL. One of these days I'll have to pick one up to see what all the fuss is about. Nice pipe!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For some reason, that chubby Rhodesian shape just makes me smile and they smoke great. My collection now includes:

New Standard (2), Virgin, Fantasy, Tapestry, Prehistoric, Colossus and a Digby 9242). A New Era would finish the series.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Nice acquisition, Al. I like chubby Rhodesians, too. To me, something about them just says "pipe." Glad everything worked out with the seller.
Kashmir wrote:

When I saw the thread title I knew it was you. LOL.
Yeah, I had my suspicions, as well, LOL.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Nice pickup Al.
I don't know the 76 pipes at all. But the first two pipes I picked up when falling back into pipes were GBD estates. One bought from Coopersark and the other from Great Estate Pipes on eBay.
They are the top and bottom pipes (respectively) in this pic:

The partially rusticated bent apple has just mammoth walls, I could hyperventilate while smoking and they wouldn't get hot. The freehand on the bottom is kinda like a stretched Rhodesian crossed with a pickaxe. The bowl is freakishly deep. Both are labelled as "Unique" and "New Standard", and I love 'em. Great smokers and just fun pipes in general.
-- Pat

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I, too, knew this was you Al as soon as I saw it! Those dang GBD's are really growing on me now. I love my Tapestry and am hankering for a Prehistoric!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks guys, I was sweating Shiny Pipes but it they delivered no surprises. I gave the pipe a victory smoke this evening, after the Capitals beat the Rangers (so literally) and I assembled a new grill while listening to the game on XM, which took about twice as long as anticipated. The pipe smoked very well, nice open draw, two matches to finish, broken in with some MM965. Here's a glamour shot after my clean-up.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Interesting to read about the Seventy-Six model. I've got one -- a very traditional billiard, shape 135 -- and I was assuming it was a lesser-grade GBD. Mine has a fairly large fill, which really surprised me. It smokes fine. But that fill has definitely affected how I feel about the pipe in general.
Bob

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Seventy-Six line was only sold up to 1981, so they are all pre-Cadogan, which is the key to getting a good smoking GBD. Here are my other two:
GBD_Colossus_76_Gallery.jpg.html

GBD_Seventy-Six_Bulldog_Gallery.jpg.html

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I got a prehistoric GBD. it has got to be my largest pipe so far. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.