PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

szconrad

Lurker
Oct 24, 2018
I wish I could smoke 8-12 bowls a day! My tongue tends to slow me down. I get tongue bite quite easily, so I can usually smoke 2 bowls a day. Like most folks are saying here, it's up to you what is "too much." As long as you are enjoying it, then that's just fine!

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I usually smoke a couple of bowls in the evening after work. Weekends 3 to 4 per day depending on what I’m doing and how much time I have.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Glazed concobs. Interesting insertion to the conversation. I missed the transition.
Weren't cobs used in the outhouse, before Sears and Ward's catalogs became available??

• Haha
Reactions: dcon

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
And I suspect it's never before been said anywhere by anyone.
You obviously haven't been around livestock much...that phrase is used daily among everyone that is...how do you think cows get bred, by live cover? LOL
When you're breeding a half million dollar stallion to a quarter million dollar mare, the last thing you want is for either of them to get injured. Livestock breeders pretty much only use AI for breeding these days, hardly anyone still uses live cover.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I've mentioned before I know a guy that smoked 1 lb. of 1Q every 7 days. Well he is now smoking 2 lbs. every 10 days. I won't go into what his pipes look like.

• Wow
Reactions: UncleRasta

frankrem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Huntsville, Arkansas
My volume depends on the family at the time. If my kids are away I may do 3-4 bowls in a day. If I go to the local cigar shop/ bar - I may do 3-4 there as well. I typically try and smoke a bowl before work in the morning. My equivalent to a good cup of coffee. However, I won't typically smoke a pipe in the afternoons during the week. So I vary from 3-6 in a given week. Most was probably about 9-10ish.
It's all up to you and what you enjoy. As long as your not bent over puking in a ditch I reckon you have one more in ya for the day :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I usually smoke 4-5 pipes a day and feel like that is plenty for me. Most of my bowls last `1.5-2.0 hours and I feel like I am smoking all the time I am awake. I would have to speed smoke to get 8-12 pipes in a day.
If you are enjoying your 8-12 that is all that matters. Keep smoking and take no prisoners.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
You obviously haven't been around livestock much...that phrase is used daily among everyone that is
LOL ... Yes, it's true, I haven't been around livestock much. But it's the added part in the sentence about the difficulty with smoking a pipe at the same time that makes me think it's perhaps not been said before.
But then maybe that's where most of the few remaining pipe smokers are these days...tending livestock.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I think it all depends on your heath, I would love to smoke in the week as well as at the weekend but my health situation just won't allow it at the moment.

I try and look on it as a very long case of delayed gratification, one things for sure and that's the first bowl on a Friday is extra special.
Chris

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Okay! I gotta ask, "How does your health situation yo-yo and allow smoking on weekends but, not during the rest of the week?"
I realize the question is impertinent but, my curiosity overrides my manners. I've never heard of such a situation.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Okay! I gotta ask, "How does your health situation yo-yo and allow smoking on weekends but, not during the rest of the week?"
I don't mind answering mate, I have a few ailments but the main one is arthritis which restricts my movements and exercising is made more difficult as a result (although I am trying to change that), when I was at my worst (cardio wise) and weight wise (I was 6 stone over at one point) I would get out of breath just walking up the stairs and only left the house maybe once every couple of weeks so it didn't seem wise to add excessive (for me) smoking on top of everything.
I have lost weight in the last year or so (about 3 stone) and am now doing physiotherapy and some mild (and believe me it's pretty weak sauce) exercise but I have noticed a marked improvement and to be honest I wouldn't want to negate any of the small gains I've made by smoking more in the week.
On top of that I also have bad acid refux (they're doing a camera down my throat next month to see if they can get to the bottom of it as the PPI's are no longer making any difference) and the GP said that smoking can aggravate and exacerbate the problem so that was another reason to keep pipe smoking to just the weekends.
So basically the answer is my health doesn't yo-yo and if I was being sensible I wouldn't smoke at all but unfortunately common sense was never one of my strong suits. I no longer drink alcohol so smoking a pipe is my one small vice, it may not seem like much but I really look forward and enjoy immensely having a few bowls at the weekend (normally between 3-7), so that's pretty much the long and short of it really, I shouldn't smoke at all but as Oscar Wilde said 'I can resist everything except temptation'.
Chris

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have similar issues. Reflux, weight (lost 108lbs at one point, but have gained 60 back), as well as a pretty hard case of benign fasciculation syndrome (we hope), which sucks ass, and produces similar exercise intolerance.
Part of why I try to keep my smoking to once a week as well.
I ended up having a Schatzky B ring that they busted up during my endoscopy and esophagus dilation. Helped immensely but was temporary. Back on the PPI's now, but they seem to be working even when taken intermittently.
Best of luck with all that. A pipe a week can't hurt too much :D

Jun 9, 2018
England
I appreciate your taking the time to answer.
No problem mate.
lost 108lbs at one point, but have gained 60 back
Yeah it's not easy getting the weight off but I'm guessing maintaining that weight loss is even more difficult as you don't have the same impetus as when you're actually loosing the weight. You see it with a lot of people on that show 'The Biggest Looser' and 'Slimming Club' champions etc. They loose a ton of weight but within a few years or so many of them put most of it back on, it's definitely not easy.
As for the PPI's I'm glad they're working for you mate because when they do they're like a magic bullet (well they were for me anyway). Sadly they just suddenly stopped working, I've tried the main 3 ones at some point or another but sadly now none of them make bugger all difference.
I just hope when they do the camera they can see what the problem is and hopefully I can get on the waiting list (NHS so it may be a bit of a wait who knows) but at least there'd be some light at the end of the tunnel, fingers crossed I suppose.
Chris

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yeah, I lost it for a girl that I never got with, hahaha. But then I met my current wife so it paid off. Keeping it off is certainly tough, it's easy to get complacent. I've put back on about 10 lbs a year since then, but finally got it to at least plateau.
Having a 3 month old daughter has not helped. Most of my meals these days are whatever I can jam into my face between feedings and shittings which usually isn't fresh chopped veggies and seared tofu, it's whatever pile of american futuristic superprocessed pile of compounds and trans fats I can reach fastest.
I'm sure the docs will figure out something for you. Hopefully non surgical, but if does end up going that route I've heard it's quite effective. My dad had it done many years ago and it worked for him like a dream, he just can't burp now, so he sounds like a walking duck farm as it all finds its way out the.........err......other way. He'll get one up every now and then after a few long contractions, but it is painful and sounds like a suffocating old woman's last cry for help.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I would love to be able to get back to my 10-12 bowls a day. But with my job, it's impossible. So I had to cut back to 4-5 ish depending. Weekends more, days I work are less. Plus I also upped the size of the bowl. How big is the pipe you are using smokingwizard?

Status
Not open for further replies.