PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I finally pulled the plug the other day and bought one. I'm looking for any tips, tricks or good recipes. Help

Reactions: Zero

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've had one for about 2 years and don't use it often, but when I do I'm pleased with the results. Knowing what it's best for helps not being disappointed. If I don't want to deep fry chicken I find that this does a decent job. I usually do for longer than the recommended time as I like it quite crispy. The fact is that I use my toaster oven a LOT more than the air fryer.

Reactions: David D. Davidson

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I got one for my mom sometime ago. Then she couldn't figure out how to use it. So, got her a microwave, and I put the thing in my kitchen. For longest, I couldn't figure out how to use it. It powered on, but wouldn't do anything. I always had cheat sheet card on my hand. One day, I got pissed and didn't pull the cheat sheet card out. Apparently, that card had to be in its slot to work. Whoever engineered this shit needs to be shot. But my wife loves it now it's working.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
What is the difference twixt a toaster oven & an air fryer?

I've never used either but was of the impression they were one and the same device but your comment suggests otherwise.

Jay.
A toaster oven is basically a small electric oven that can be used to make toast, but also bake things defrost food, re-heat food, broil food and so on. Some have a built in air fryer too, but the general consensus is that it doesn't really work that great as an air fryer. On the other hand an air fryer is made specifically to give you fried food without frying it in oil. You can make other things in an air fryer, but it doesn't bake food like you would expect in an oven. Look online like Amazon to see how they differ. Overall I feel that the toaster oven is much more useful because it can be used in more ways. Ok? Clear as mud now?

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
My wife was kind of agitating me to buy her one for Xmas some months ago. Time has passed and she is looking for some other fad to spend her money on.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Thanks for taking the time. I've heard many negatives on air fryers such as food coming out with super hard crusts. Best I steer clear, though a toasting oven might prove useful..

Jay.
I bought my stepdaughter and her husband a toaster over about a year and a half ago, and they love it! They use it all the time. I also bought them an air fryer about 9mo. ago and they used it maybe twice and put it up. So this last Thanksgiving we gave it to my younger stepdaughter but I haven't heard much about it yet. I live alone so a toaster oven makes more sense for me because I don't cook large amounts of food that requires my large oven. You don't really need to pre-heat it much and it's so handy for 12" frozen pizzas, and other bachelor friendly foods.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
I love my air fryer, but use it for only specific things - it’s a good tool to compliment your existing toolbox! The two things I use it most for is baked wings (not breaded, just very lightly coated in starch), and tofu. Extra firm tofu, soaked in soy sauce and tossed in oil, then air fried, makes an excellent substitute for cubed chicken. The gf is vegetarian, which in the words of Jules Winnfield, pretty much makes me vegetarian too. But I’ll be damned if it doesn’t hit the spot and satisfy my meat cravings in my Greek chicken wraps, chicken Caesar salad, etc etc.

It’s also pretty good for cooking fish. It’s not my daily driver, but I definitely have some dishes that work far better in an air fryer than anything else I’ve got in my kitchen.

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
They work great to reheat pizza, fries, hamburgers etc. they help avoid the soggy microwave heating.

also great with chicken thighs/wings, pork chops…..just avoid sugary rubs and sauces as they will burn.

And yes - steaks are actually pretty good in an AF if it’s too cold to use my Wbber Kettle.

Reactions: David D. Davidson