PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I'm just constantly amazed at the idiocy of "do-something" type of people.

Do anything. Accomplish nothing, or worse. Get reelected.
It's amazing our system works at all... or maybe it doesn't.

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
They should sell ciggs in jail and hike up the price. they could make a nice profit. That would make more sense
That's the thing. In Kentucky they were selling tobacco at a 20% markup. It was a nice bit of revenue for the state. Have no idea how they are intending to replace it. And this with Frankfort telling us each year that they are too broke to give raises or even them asking us to take 6 days a year off without pay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
All of our state employees (wife and correctional friends included) had 8 "furlough days" last year. At and end of year meeting, several correctional officers pointed out the state bought three new air-conditioning compressors that cost $150,0000, for tiers without AC. But, they had no money to install, so they have been sitting in the parking lot for over a year. In the meantime, they get furlough days...DON'T think about moving to Maryland!

smokinggun

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2011
It's a shame that smokers are looked upon as outcasts today because it's "bad for your health" but then drinking and huge amounts of sugar consumption is ok?
:roll:

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
There is so much that is just WRONG these days, there is little hope of any change, story after story of the "system", which simply is not working to our advantage. :crying:

The Sheeple need to raise up their heads and become aware of the wolves around them.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
TIm,
We'll add you to the prayer list come March for safety. Pray that all will remain calm during the withdrawal period. In the mean time, we'll pray that someone may indeed realize not only the stupidity, but also the danger this kind of legislation creates.
Portascat: Where you at ? I may have run into you doing prison visits ;-) But I never brought in anything.. l swear :rofl:

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Our governor here in NY is going through and screwing over all the public unions one by one (the COs got theirs already but 'luckily' the furlough days are going to be covered by the retro money owed to the COs for working without a contract for so long). And yet, Little Mario (sorry, Andrew) is asking the feds for $2 billion to rebuild a the Tappan Zee Bridge. "Do something! Save us! Especially from ourselves!" I have been waiting for a chance to say this but I really love the CS Lewis quote from Brewshooters signature and is obviously applicable in this and most other cases.
The jails here have been smoke-free since they banned all in door smoking in July 2004(?) and my dad managed to survive it but, yes, a pack of cigarettes is now worth around $100 and there is absolutely no way at all ever that this creates an incentive for a black market.
Full disclosure: My dad is a CO, not me, but I'm really the only one that he has to talk to so I'm informed up to a point. But if any of the other guards on here ever want or need a sympathetic ear, I'm here. You guys and gals are like cops who work in neighborhoods where 100% of the residents are criminals and you're usually out numbered 50 to 1 without even having the top brass on your side. It's frustrating, it's dangerous, and no one seems to care. Some of us do and I thank you for keeping us safe.
Father, hang in there. It'll be tough but hopefully it'll blow over with only grumbling. Tempers will be short, of course, but I hope no one gets jammed up too bad.

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
Actually we went thru the same thing about 2 years back here at all Correctional Facilities in Michigan. We thought it was going to be disaster also, and actually we got more bit*hing from staff than prisoners. The cessation was done in stages, 6 months of warning to all staff and prisoners that all tobacco products would not be allowed in the prisons. Slowly all tobacco stock was removed from the prisoner stores and finally they could no longer order it. Finally a date was given to all staff and prisoners that prohibited smoking in any area of the prison including the staff parking lot. I can actually say it went a lot smoother than most of us anticipated. ( prison work is my full time gig with beekeeping being my secondary income) As a non cig smoker, I have noticed the difference in the housing unit evironments, as most of Michigan's prisons are of the temporary type pole buildings. (You can imagine the poor ventihillation in a pole barn let alone add a constant haze of cigarette smoke hanging in the air). Of course the trade off, is that cigarettes, matches and tobacco are classified in the same category as pot and other drugs if prisoners are caught with it. Leads to a pretty good blackmarket item behind the fence. The last I knew one cig went for 5 bucks and 2 matches and a striker went for $1. You can't stop it all, but it sure was surprising that we weatered through it pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.