PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
The 1st person ever to try blue cheese cray must have been extremely brave or almost dying of hunger rotf

Jokes aside, I got my 3yo son to try it by putting a dab of honey on it. He not only loved it, but graduated onto washed rind cheese. Much to the amazement of many adults
Can you get limburger cheese in Australia? It's a semi-soft "stinky" cheese (that can now also be bought as a spreadable version).

I enjoy it with liverwurst/braunswager, sweet onion, and plain yellow mustard on white, rye, or pumpernickel bread.

Reactions: mingc and Egg Shen

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whew. That is living large! Lately, I've been enjoying a wedge of blue cheese and liking it well. At first I tried to pair it with fruit and wine, but I enjoyed it so much, I just eat modest portions with breakfast so it can be counterpoint to the jam on my toast. It's not Stilton by a long shot, but it has that pungent resonant taste, and I am enjoying it in small quantities that are entirely appetizing. I also do this with extra sharp cheddar, but there's something special about blue cheese.

shanez, port and blue cheese, I'll keep that in mind.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Back in the days before refrigeration and air-freight, I imagine it would be extra-mature by the time it arrives in the Antipodes 😁

Durian is my favourite fruit.
So washed rind cheeses like Limburger pose little challenge rotf
I like durian and blue cheese but have never combined the two. Thoughts?

(It's been a while since I've had Limburger. I thought it smelled like actual shit!)

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
That port made me drool - I don’t generally buy it but have had some well aged tawny that was excellent. Had some “regular” that the server said would be excellent with a decadent chocolate dessert with Stilton on the side, at a restaurant on the coast at that place known as the Hotel California a few years ago that was so good I had more. Dessert ended up being more than the meal, but the wife was frisky!

• Love
Reactions: OzPiper

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
(It's been a while since I've had Limburger. I thought it smelled like actual shit!)
Maybe you're thinking of Stinking Bishop.....that stuff really honks.

"Description: If you can overcome the smell, Stinking Bishop is a delicious soft cheese made with full fat pasteurised cows’ milk and vegetarian rennet. The rind is thoroughly washed in perry, giving Stinking Bishop its distinctive characteristic flavour and unique ‘stinking’ aroma. The cheese is presented in a poplar-wood box and tightly wrapped in waxed paper for optimum taste".

Regards,

Jay.

• Haha
Reactions: mingc and OzPiper

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Maybe you're thinking of Stinking Bishop.....that stuff really honks.

"Description: If you can overcome the smell, Stinking Bishop is a delicious soft cheese made with full fat pasteurised cows’ milk and vegetarian rennet. The rind is thoroughly washed in perry, giving Stinking Bishop its distinctive characteristic flavour and unique ‘stinking’ aroma. The cheese is presented in a poplar-wood box and tightly wrapped in waxed paper for optimum taste".

Regards,

Jay.
I've not heard of Stinking Bishop or perry and will have to look for both of them!

Reactions: mawnansmiff