PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+1 Jud....Ebay advise, I won one, got here today & it looks like a bubble pipe, no wonder I won it, small & a screw in stem that doesn't align.used Meer. Sounds too good to be true, it is.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Savinelli pipes are reasonably priced. I would consider that brand over Peterson.
I have read many posts on this forum relating to the poor quality of Peterson pipes. The quality issues may not apply to all lines they make.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I agree that churchwardens are unwieldy, but not that they "smoke cooler" . The idea that the smoke noticeably cools in the longer stem is an old wives tale. Some may SWEAR it happens (usually rookie smokers) but I believe it's due to the placebo effect.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I agree with you on churchwardens not smoking any cooler, bigvan. I've got one - it was given to me - and I just do not smoke it that much. I need to be sitting, reading, for it to be worth dealing with. I might smoke it 5 or 6 times a year.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Sharpe, don't forget to allot a little bit of cash for pipe cleaners and some good wooden matches when you pull the trigger on whatever pipe you decide upon. Both will help you enjoy that new or estate pipe a little better before and after. Nice wooden matches make for good charring and true lights and you gotta clean that pipe or it will get funky before long. Good luck on your decisions and I hope you enjoy whatever pipe you choose.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I may sound like a cheap bastard but I have to stand by it..My first briar pipe was a Dr.Grabow Omega for $35 and it is one of my favorites still and Only NEW pipe I've ever purchased.Personally it only took 4 bowls in the 1/2 then whole order to break it in.After that just great smokes...It is a paper filter pipe but I never used it as I like the open draw and full bodied flavor.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
My first Pipe was a Stanwell Bent Billiard... that was a little over a month ago... I took the advice of friends on this site and I am glad I did. It's a great pipe...

I also got a Missouri Meerschaum... it was around $8 and it smokes great... I started smoking that while my Stanwell was in route...
A couple weeks later, I got a Meerschaum Bulldog from Storient... Love it.
and I picked up that Carey Magic Inch deal here for $20.00...
I thought one pipe would be enough when I started... but I learned that you want to have a few to rotate... corn cobs help here too...
Anyway, whatever you get... get something the more experienced folks recommend and get something you really like.

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
My first pipe was a GBD, great smoke and it looks great! Buy what you like. It's better if you shop somewhere locally first so you can see whats out there. Online is good but if you're not fimilar with the designs and shapes you might be hesitant to buy online and not take up smoking after a bad sale. Peterson is the way to go also. Stanwell are wonderful also.

Aug 14, 2012
There is nothing wrong with a churchwarden. If you intend to smoke only at home and while inactive. Otherwise get a shorter second pipe. In picking a pipe, first determine your maximum budget. You generally get what you pay for. In the $250-300 range, despite issues mentioned above, I suggest Peterson. Maybe from the Sherlock Holmes series. Once you go under that price for a Pete there will usually be stain on the inside of the bowl and airshaft. I recently got a $200 Pete system pipe. After I removed the stain from the inside (with gin)it smoked quite well, and will get better & better. Any briar under $200 is kind of a cheap pipe, though if you know what to look for, you may find some good buys. I can't tell you much about that price range except that Stanwells are not too bad. I have some cobs, but don't recommend them. If you want a meerschaum, you might not want to buy it directly from Turkey. Some of the pipe vendors there are somewhat disreputable. You may or may not get the pipe, and it may or may not be any good. You can find good meers at smokingpipes.com for well under $200.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Wow! Lot's of advice, and virtually all of it's good advice. I'll try to be specific...

1) On Churchwardens: I've owned several churchwardens. I think it's an Old Wive's tale that they smoke "cooler," but they also don't smoke hotter. If you like the style, try one -- although I would add that, due to the size, I don't smoke them much. I like to read, type, and have my hands free while smoking.

2) Buy Savenelli. I don't believe there is a better pipe maker in the price range. I've got some expensive briars, but most of the pipes I smoke are Savs or house pipes from a local B&M.

3) A corn cob might be the best place to start if you've never smoked before. Most guys who try pipe smoking don't stick with it, for a number of reasons (tongue bite probably being the leading culprit). A corn cob from Missouri Meerschaum would be cheap, plus cobs are very forgiving.

4) In general, if you're buying briar, get the best you can afford. That being said, don't be afraid of "house pipes" or Dr. Grabows. I own several Grabows that I'm seriously attached to because they're really good smokers. On the flipside, when you buy a Grabow it's kind of a crapshoot -- I've ended up tossing or trading a few because they weren't very good.

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
I'm going to probably start problems with this suggestion...BUT...I'ma fan of Mr Brog. The pear wood pipes smoke great and won't break the budget of anyone for a pipe that may not be a lifelong friend. Cobs are good, but the country boy association is to much for some people. A pear pipe will cost $25 and smoke tons better than most cheap basket pipes. For someone who doesn't know if they want to stay in the pipe world Mr Brog is a great alternative to dropping $100 + on a "name" brand pipe. Just my $0.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.