PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Cost from $3 an ounce to $2.50 if bought by the pound.

Highly recommended.

This is pure, straight Virginia pressed into flakes., of medium strength. There’s the characteristic Virginia taste of hay and citrus, with the sweet sauce used to bind the flakes, and no bite, harshness or bitterness. It’s just excellent quality Virginia tobacco, nothing more or less.

Newminster #400 SNF is a classic smoke every pipe smoker ought to try a couple of ounces of before cellaring several pounds. I prefer a little Perique in my Virginia flake but another smoker may like his Virginia straight.

Tobacco doesn’t seem to get a cheaper year by year, and straight Virginia improves with age.

If you Ike this, better lay in several pounds to age before the same tobacco costs more.

23B9E156-3074-4A70-9A07-2C55A8971CDF.jpegBC4DB68F-CD25-4B06-AAEF-B815AFCF2F59.jpeg1407775E-8C85-480C-9B56-B4B179FA4B92.jpeg

Did they take the topping off? It was rather strong. Kinda like caramel. But the blend does taste good. Some remaining from last purchase is rather delicious with a lot of topping gone now. I would definitely purchase again.
Honey maybe… some kind if sugar with a cloying flavor, IMO. I had to let it completely dry out to shake that taste. It was ok, but with so many other blends with an easier tobacco flavor, I never ordered any more.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Honey maybe… some kind if sugar with a cloying flavor, IMO. I had to let it completely dry out to shake that taste. It was ok, but with so many other blends with an easier tobacco flavor, I never ordered any more.
At first, the topping kinda put me off. I think I got it with PS Twist, Navy and Bullseye. I guess it's been over a year and half, close to two. I didn't think too much of PS blends, but at this point, Newminster isn't half bad. It's actually pretty yummy. Then again I also enjoy Back Down South.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Highly recommended.
Newminster #400 SNF is a classic smoke every pipe smoker ought to try a couple of ounces of before cellaring several pounds.
Completely agree. I absolutely love this blend.
On one of my more recent online shopping attempts, I was disappointed to find my usual PS bulk favorites LBF & LNF were sold out. So I took a chance on a few new-to-me Va and VaPer blends, Newminster 400 being one. And I am so glad I did.
I can't speak to its flavor once aged, as I do not (yet) have any of this blend cellared. But even fresh, this tobacco has quickly become one of my favorite Virginias.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
People were raving about it here a couple years ago, like it was manna…

It’s a decent quality Virginia flake tobacco, and I have some cellared and smoke it occasionally. It can be had at a bit of a discount. Probably because the brand isn’t as recognizable as some of the dozens of Virginia flakes available.

Bullmoose

Lurker
Feb 15, 2023
Cincinnati, Ohio
The Stokkebye Luxury line is probably one of the best bulk options going for Virginia and VaPer lovers. I wouldn't say they are extraordinary tobaccos but definitely excellent everyday blends that "punch above their weight" for a bulk blend. Out of the bag, they're young and can have a few sharp edges. I just smoked some Twist Flake from 2019 yesterday, and like all Virginias, they play nicer with age. There is nothing complex about these tobaccos, even with age on them, in my opinion. They do what they do and do them exceptionally well.

The Luxury Twist Flake, to my taste, probably is the heaviest casing with its honey/caramel flavor, but even with it being the heaviest of the three, its still a very mild casing and quite pleasant. Nowhere near enough for me to consider it aromatic. I will always have LTF and LBF in my cellar. They're just too good not to have hanging out for years down the road.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Smoked fresh I wasn’t thrilled with the flavor, but it deepened and filled out after stoving (well, sous-vide in a vac bag at 190* for an hour, then rest in bag for two weeks).
For my taste, Sutliff 507C was better, even at $.04/oz more.