PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
OK - School me. 48 people bid on this unused Zippo. Over half bid $1,000 or over, and the final bid was $2,800. Very little info was listed about the lighter. What do those folks know that I don't?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retail-Credit-Reports-Company-Service-Zippo-Lighter-/161262048574?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just received this weekly listing of the top Zippo auctions, over 1000 lighters here but a quick scan revealed nothing of this kind of value. I'd love to know why this one is so valuable.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/tobacciana/zippo

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm on a mission. I found this collector sight, owned by a Paul Harris and emailed him the ebay ad. I'll post his response. He had a pretty impressive collection of Zippos!
The lighter is missing the orange sticker on the back, which is apparently valuable to collectors and the numbers stamped on the bottom of the case are not visible in the ad. A puzzler.
http://www.thepassionatewick.com/

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
That's a rare unused zippo from I think the 1930s. There's very few left, and it's even rarer to find one in an unused condition. It's not a modern zippo like they started producing after the war, thats why the case is differently shaped.
At least that's what it looks like to me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That makes sense Anglesey. Retail Credit Reports changed their name to Equifax in 1975, so that doesn't help (but the company was founded in 1899).

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Yeah that kinda figures, though I doubt anyone's buying for the brand. A quick google of 1930s zippos confirmed it, circa 1936-40 I reckon.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I did receive a rely from Paul Harris, and it is a rare 1930's, unsmoked lighter with the paperwork. Paul said it is worth even more:
Hi Al

The fact that it is from 1939 and is unused is amazing in itself.

The original box and paperwork are in near perfect condition, and this type of box is valued around $1000+

Then we add the fact that it has a "metallique" with all the original paint and there you go, It has all the most desirable things going for it.

I would not be surprised to have seen this lighter get as much as $4000, to be honest.

If you go to my site, you will find information on the "metallique" and the "pre-War lighters.

Regards Paul

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Certainly not a waste of monies if you can afford it and it's what you want. Sounds as though, if the market stays strong, that it is a great investment. Always a risk, but I've been told that risk is part of the fun of serious collecting.

Lots of things about prices blows my mind, like $200 tennis shoes for teens, and they buy them like crazy at the mall. There are also $500 toasters out there, and luckily for me, there are people that buy colorful rocks in metal for thousands, millions sometimes. Heck, most Picassos are $20 worth in paint and canvas, but sell for close to a million.

Judged next to my wallet, it seems ridiculous, but there is a market out there in things that outsiders cannot understand.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Edited for content and personal opinion down to just this:
Too much money and time = ridiculous purchases that render most normal humans into consternation.

Status
Not open for further replies.