1920's City De Luxe 'The Collegian' gentle refurb with pics.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
A real gem!

I love these panelled small bulldogs with off-kilter bowl/stem.
Here is a 1920's era Kaywoodie with the same theme...it is a mate to the sandblasted version I also have. I know, it's not a british pipe!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jon that ad is an excellent find, thanks for posting it. The mention of the fitted stinger reminded me that mine too came with one. Alas back then I just popped all stingers into a box with no reference to which pipe I took them from so cannot be sure which one I need to dig out and put back :oops:
Needless to say I soon realised the error of my ways and now I label them.
Londonmake, that's a sweet little pipe you have there. Some Kaywoodie pipes were actually made here in England, I have a London made (very likely by Comoy's) Kaywoodie Oom Paul, though I wouldn't know what years they were produced.
Regards,
Jay.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Thank you, mawnansmiff.

Yes, I had heard of Kaywoodie being made in England, but some were stamped as such. PipePhil has many Kaywoodie examples from other countries. [Sorry to go off-thread here.]

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/index-en.html
It seems the off-kilter to shank panelled bulldog was a popular shape theme back then, as were geometric themes [8, 6, 4 panel]. We all know the other manufacturers indulging in the shape were Sasieni, GBD, Comoy, Barling, Charatan, Kaywoodie... and Dunhill of course. Your Collegian has a Sasieni look to it, perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.