1917 Dunhill Pipe... Need any information!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karenhowell50

Lurker
Dec 8, 2015
My father has a very large (500+) pipe collection that I have been selling slowly. I came across a VERY old Dunhill pipe that he bought from Dunhill's son in the 1950's. I was wondering if anyone could help me date this pipe. The markings are: Dunhill over LONDON, DR, "Inner Tube", Pat No. 5861/12 2 (2 is super script), 10. The stem has a stamping as well: Reg No. 654638. It is a small size Bent Billiard. From the Loring papers I'm dating it to 1917. Does anyone have any information on this pipe? Thank you very much... Karen

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hmmm...
I can't remember when one of these from-out-of-nowhere "I inherited and am selling a multi-hundred specimen collection of rarities, but know nothing about pipes... can you help answer this nomenclature question about one of them?" was not an attempt to side-step the "you must be a member in good standing with a minimum of 100 posts before selling things" rule.
Just sayin'

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Without picture it's hard to be exact, but the pipe is not from 1917. One would expect DUKE ST SW beneath the DUNHILL mark. In addition to the Loring pages, these two other sites can be of great help.
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/patent1.html#dstreet24
https://pipedia.org/wiki/A_Dunhill_Pipe_Dating_Guide
If you want to post some pictures I'd be more than happy to take a look. From what you are describing, it sounds like 1922. See also from Loring,
http://loringpage.com/PipeArticles/dundate/dundate.htm

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Fellows: I've been communicating with Karen and encouraged her to post questions here about her fathers collection. I warned her that sometimes these posts come across as opportunistic, but I was hoping we could be helpful
Karen: As dmcmtk suggests, pictures are always helpful, particularly with nomenclature.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I would be really interested in seeing some photos for my own personal learning. I am beginning to study this Dunhill early period in more detail and want to gain a better perspective of the 'Charatan influence/transition/Joel Sasieni/Dunhill/Dunhill emerging period'(I just made that up, but some of you may know where I am going).

I am waiting patiently!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Karen,
Personally, thank you for having the wisdom to not just throw these on ebay to the cheapest bidder! Thank you for reaching out to take the time to learn what they are actually worth! Speaking as a pipesmoker, I can only hope my children will be as wise!

Status
Not open for further replies.