Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
May 5th is Cinco de Mayo, which has become a celebration of Mexican-American culture in the US.

Growing up, we'd have enchiladas with chips and salsa. However, I never cared for tacos since I was only exposed to the American style taco hard shell that crumbles with the first bite, topped with lettuce, tomatoes and shredded cheese) or Taco Bell.

It wasn't until grad school where I began to appreciate the street style tacos (soft fried shells with cilantro and onion). It was love at first bite.

Having a young daughter, I try to be festive and am teaching her about our Armenian background, as well as other cultures.

Today, we are watching a few Mexican based cartoons like Coco and The Book of Life. I'm also making a variety of Mexican inspired snacks.

What are you doing for the 5th?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
We never celebrated other countries holiday in Buffalo NY.
Do the countries celebrate American holidays in their country?

What is Dyngus Day?

To the OP, I did squeeze in a margarita before bedtime - I was out of simple syrup, so used some homemade grenadine for a pomegranate take on this citrusy classic. A couple Luxardo cherries in the bottom to twist it a little further.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Cinco de Mayo is not widely celebrated in Mexico except for the city of Puebla where the Battle of Puebla took place.
Now it is supposed to be a "celebration of Mexican/American culture but reality is the current Cinco de Mayo holiday in the US is the construct advertising and beer companies to promote sales. Celebrations for Cinco de Mayo in the US has been around since about the 1940s but it was mostly small local celebrations and various cities until the 1980s. That's when beer companies started pushing the holiday and made it the a day when beer sales are as high as beer sales for the Super Bowl.

In other words, like many of the "minor holidays" like Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Cinco de Mayo as it is "celebrated" in the US is because it makes money for companies.