PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
My wife just tolerates it. She says she doesn’t like it but that doesn’t stop me.

I don’t like all the purses and shoes she has but that doesn’t stop her.

I’d call that even!
My wife tolerates it and has even shown some interest and a little pride in the collection. She’ll even tolerate one cigar a day on long multi day road trips.

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I started smoking cigars about the time I met my wife over 30 years ago. She doesn’t mind me smoking but doesn’t care for the smoke, so no way will I smoke in the house.

When I started smoking a pipe a few months ago, she commented a couple times how she really liked the smell, unlike a cigar. I smoked a small bowl one afternoon in our finished basement and she didn’t like it at all. So back outside.

She has enjoyed my pipe journey, even picking out a Petersen for my birthday. We often go to antique shops and helps me find all sorts of pipe and cigar tobacciana.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
My wife loves my pipe smoking - all aspects of the hobby. She's found an interest in the pipes themselves (she collects art and likes the craftsmanship). She also enjoys the smell of Virginias which is good for me - I get to smoke inside. She's even interested in the tobacco itself. Added some to her garden.
It's a blessing. She knows how much I love it and I'm able to talk to her about it and she listens. I save the nerding out for friends and pipe club though.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
My wife loves my pipe smoking - all aspects of the hobby. She's found an interest in the pipes themselves (she collects art and likes the craftsmanship). She also enjoys the smell of Virginias which is good for me - I get to smoke inside. She's even interested in the tobacco itself. Added some to her garden.
It's a blessing. She knows how much I love it and I'm able to talk to her about it and she listens. I save the nerding out for friends and pipe club though.
Yep, you are blessed, for sure.
Loved the comment about "nerding out" with friends. I tend to do the same thing about things I'm passionate about. I'll go on and on about a subject and will start noticing a "glaze" over their eyes and know it is time to shut up. :col:

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
My wife doesn't like the smell and it does make my breath bad. She said I wasn't getting any sex if I keep smoking my pipe. I bought her a dildo.
Mark, you bless me! Good cheer. Good humor. Laughter. And generosity. Plus grandkids I'm jealous of--still waiting on that whole mask wearing couple I love (love her, hoping and praying to live him eventually before he helps choose my rest home LOL). WITH KINDEST REGARDS-mike
Ps- thnx to your sharing and tips, ihavanna fixed me up for life.

• Love
Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I'm also one of the lucky ones, even though my smoking is limited to the back patio, which is not a problem. She often comments that a particular blend "smells good." We are about to leave for our 6-month trip out in the motorhome (to escape the Houston summer) and she has reminded me to be sure I pack enough tobacco.
Smart wife! She doesn't want you to run out of tobacco in a location where you can't buy anything but roll your own posing as pipe tobacco.

Reactions: epazikas and Carol

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
My wife despises everything about my pipe smoking, from her perception of the health dangers to the smell of smoke to the aesthetics of me with a pipe in my mouth. Unfortunately, she's perfection personified so there's nothing I can toss back at her.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
My wife despises everything about my pipe smoking, from her perception of the health dangers to the smell of smoke to the aesthetics of me with a pipe in my mouth. Unfortunately, she's perfection personified so there's nothing I can toss back at her.
Hmmm, your wife sounds just like mine.....
Wonder if we married sisters?? :col:

Reactions: Cloozoe

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I've smoked a pipe in short spurts for many years, but only got into it somewhat regularly a little over a year ago. That was when I accidentally discovered how wonderful churchwardens are for reading, and I ran across a tobacco that I really like. I only smoke outside, which is my own decision, (I accumulate stuff, and I don't want to clean the condensed smoke off of everything,) one session a day with one or two pipes and an old book.

My wife doesn't really approve, but she doesn't say much. I think she worries about my health, but I'm 74 and I'll likely die from something else long before moderate pipe smoking could give me cancer.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I would check for any life insurance under your name that you didn't open. Also I would question any additional butter on your plate or well marbled steaks. And high priced, high proof Scotch whisky.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Women generally compliment me on the aroma of my pipe, be it modern Three Nuns when I smoked it regularly, Skiff, Cabbies of late. I understand that there's usually a grandfather at the root of it.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Women generally compliment me on the aroma of my pipe, be it modern Three Nuns when I smoked it regularly, Skiff, Cabbies of late. I understand that there's usually a grandfather at the root of it.
Anecdotal only as I've never made an attempt to quantify the data....

Most of the women who have complimented the aroma of my pipe smoking have been from women whose grandfathers (or fathers, for the older women) smoked a pipe.

Most of the women who hated the aroma of my pipe smoking have been from women who parents or grandparents had been cigarette smokers.

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK

Most of the women who have complimented the aroma of my pipe smoking have been from women whose grandfathers (or fathers, for the older women) smoked a pipe.

Most of the women who hated the aroma of my pipe smoking have been from women who parents or grandparents had been cigarette smokers.

Very interesting; I hadn't considered those who dislike - in my experience they generally steer clear, although one or two just disliked the whole idea of pipe smoking.

I think this data has value to those pipe smokers looking for partners, "applications from women whose grandfathers were pipesmokers favored" or similar in the profile, what?

ItsKarl

Lurker
May 3, 2024
Norway
My gal's a heavy smoker herself, though Marlboro Double Burst is her poison. When I told her of my plans to pick up the pipe, her only concern was, "what if you don't like it?"

And, as an apropos to what pappymac said, she has fond memories of the tobacco smell from her pipe smoking grandfather.

The timing of my pipe smoking with the upcoming ban of her precious menthol cigarettes this summer is completely coincidental. I've asked her what her plan is when that day comes, but she's not ready to talk about it. Perhaps I can lure her into pipe smoking with me.

Reactions: Fuelman

BingBong

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
My gal's a heavy smoker herself, though Marlboro Double Burst is her poison. When I told her of my plans to pick up the pipe, her only concern was, "what if you don't like it?"

The timing of my pipe smoking with the upcoming ban of her precious menthol cigarettes this summer is completely coincidental. I've asked her what her plan is when that day comes, but she's not ready to talk about it. Perhaps I can lure her into pipe smoking with me.
We've had a menthol cigarette ban in the UK for a couple of years now. This has been circumvented by big tobacco companies dropping paper for leaf and producing menthol "cigarillos"!