PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
When my truck was a “second office” and “second den” for a number of years, I had a large wooden tool box with a number of pipes, tobacco, pipe cleaners, pocket knife, reamers, a pair of Bic lighters and other assorted pipe items that traveled with me in case I ran out of what I had brought from home that day. Summer or Winter, it was always there and helpfully available when needed or just if I wanted a change of pace.

Reactions: Carol and jpmcwjr

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Nope, don't keep an emergency stash in the car. I'm not addicted to pipe smoking so if I forget tobacco or pipe or both I just do without. My car kit does include bottled water, a small first aid kit, a space blanket, a multitool, a $20 bill, and during cold months a pair of gloves and a stocking cap. There's probably some other stuff I've forgotten, with gas prices where they are I should consider adding a second $20 bill.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nope, don't keep an emergency stash in the car. I'm not addicted to pipe smoking so if I forget tobacco or pipe or both I just do without. My car kit does include bottled water, a small first aid kit, a space blanket, a multitool, a $20 bill, and during cold months a pair of gloves and a stocking cap. There's probably some other stuff I've forgotten, with gas prices where they are I should consider adding a second $20 bill.
I enjoy smoking while I drive. A lot! But my lady friend has her own car, and mine doesn't smell too bad, so I don't have any one turning up their nose. I would also say I am not addicted based on several times I stopped without cravings.

My car always has water, first aid kit or two, multitool, jackknife, credit cards- and the most important: cell phone. No blankets as live in temperate climate- no snow till Tahoe!

Reactions: ThermionicScott

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country

Car Emergency Tin and Pipe?​

What a great idea! Every automobile should have a proper emergency kit:

Pipe
Tobacco
Pipe-cleaners
Tamper
Matches, lighter, and a candle (that's three sources)
Blanket (to keep you cozy while you enjoy a bowl)
Flashlight (so you can see to load and unload your pipe)
Ashtray (since few vehicles are equipped with them today)
Beverage of your choice (I prefer hot, black, coffee)
Snacks (to help settle your stomach just in case your tobacco is of the high-nicotine variety)
Smart-phone and USB cord so that you can peruse the Pipesmagazine.com Forums while you await rescue

seabee1999

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2019
Norman, OK
Nothing in the car but I do have a couple small corncob pipes and a small jar of tobacco at the office. I’ll smoke a bowl when I feel like I want to get away from the desk and relax a bit.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I enjoy smoking while I drive. A lot! But my lady friend has her own car, and mine doesn't smell too bad, so I don't have any one turning up their nose. I would also say I am not addicted based on several times I stopped without cravings.
I think fussing with a pipe while driving is not any different than texting while driving, not something I'd do. Besides I don't want my car smelling like an ashtray.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think fussing with a pipe while driving is not any different than texting while driving, not something I'd do. Besides I don't want my car smelling like an ashtray.
No fuss no muss. As to similarity with texting, that's absurd.

My eyes don't leave the road, loading, lighting or just smoking. Tamping, my eyes leave the road for about 1/5th of a second.

Not advocating for smoking in a vehicle, but just want to snuff out an outlandish comparison.

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
A 4 oz. mason jar would be the ideal size for a glove box. In it, I would most likely put some sort of heavily stoved Virginia blend that has already been subjected to heating. In my work briefcase, I keep a rolled-up 5"x7" mylar bag with a few pinches of C&D Yorktown, another with Peterson 965 and an Old Dominion Shenandoah cob along with a small pipe tool, a book of matches and a Bic. A similar setup could work for the car.

Reactions: Sobrbiker and Elric

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
No fuss no muss. As to similarity with texting, that's absurd.

My eyes don't leave the road, loading, lighting or just smoking. Tamping, my eyes leave the road for about 1/5th of a second.

Not advocating for smoking in a vehicle, but just want to snuff out an outlandish comparison.
We'll just have to disagree, on whether messing around with a pipe while driving is less safe.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
My truck pipe (used almost every morning and cleaned on weekends).
I tried Half and Half a while ago, and don’t hate it, but never reach for it so it lives in the console-just had some this morning. Any OTC pouch off the like will do for months.
I’d go with a budget briar with acrylic stem over a cob, for purely backup as long as it’s not in a direct hotspot it should be ok. I’ve had just the interior mess up the fit of the bits on my MM’s with the “plastic” bits even if they’re out of sun.
IMG_0328.jpeg

Reactions: Elric

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We'll just have to disagree, on whether messing around with a pipe while driving is less safe.
Seriously! You cannot be serious! Smoking and texting are so far apart in creating dangerous situations on the road.

I don't know how you smoke, but I don't "mess around" with a pipe [or anything else] while driving,

Reactions: Kobold