PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’ve been watching the other thread comparing Systems vs. Deluxe and I have a couple questions maybe someone could chime in with insights?

The System Deluxe seems to come with the metal chimney piece, correct? Is that something that the regular System does not have? Could it be added or is it a Deluxe feature only?

Seems like the p-lip, graduated bore and the system well / reservoir is what makes the traditional System pipe patent so I’m wondering where the metal chimney comes into the “patent” design and how much of a difference it makes?

Also, per the SP website it appears that you could order or get all these features but a fishtail stem as personal preference - so do you still get the graduated bore if you opt out of the p-lip and how much difference does that make, if any?

My reason for asking is that I’ve had many Petersons but never a System or a System Deluxe and I’m quite tempted to try the quintessential Peterson experience with a System Deluxe but I don’t particularly love the p-lip. My clenching style just doesn’t jive and I struggle with it enough that it usually ends up not getting smoked regularly.

So basically, I’d be interested to know how all the other factors would work but with a fishtail stem as an option or if it just isn’t the same Peterson System experience if you lose the p-lip.

I understand the purists will say the p-lip is part and parcel of smoking a Pete but I have actually had fishtail stems made to replace the p-lip original stems on a regular non-System pipe and greatly preferred the same pipes afterwards, so the question is really about what part the p-lip or lack thereof affects the System Deluxe smoking dynamics or if it’s just strictly a preference thing.

Okay, if you’re still reading this, congratulations and you deserve a fresh bowl and a cuppa, lol.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

Reactions: AroEnglish

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
My reason for asking is that I’ve had many Petersons but never a System or a System Deluxe and I’m quite tempted to try the quintessential Peterson experience with a System Deluxe but I don’t particularly love the p-lip. My clenching style just doesn’t jive and I struggle with it enough that it usually ends up not getting smoked regularly.

So basically, I’d be interested to know how all the other factors would work but with a fishtail stem as an option or if it just isn’t the same Peterson System experience if you lose the p-lip.

Here's a Deluxe System with a fishtail.

I definitely like it better mouthfeel-wise than the P-lip that came with it. (I'm a clencher)

No difference in taste, staying lit, or etc. otherwise.

P1070074.jpg
P1070092.jpg
P1070080.jpg
P1070086.jpg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This is discussed many times in Mark I's blogs, I believe with at least one blog devoted entirely to the subject. I suggest searching for the topic in his blog. There are even blogs about how to add chimneys to system pipes, reservoirs to non-systems, etc.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
This is discussed many times in Mark I's blogs, I believe with at least one blog devoted entirely to the subject. I suggest searching for the topic in his blog. There are even blogs about how to add chimneys to system pipes, reservoirs to non-systems, etc.

I am not familiar with this blog, but thank you for the suggestion! Mark Irwin? The name seems familiar and I am assuming it’s a separate source and not a thread here on this forum? Cheers!