PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Dec 10, 2013
Reactions: sablebrush52

Dec 10, 2013
I also, and provided links to evidence that it wasn't a Dunhill. I've done this quite often and more often than not, the seller doesn't change a thing. I appreciate the seller added a note in this case, albeit in "small print" toward the bottom.
I did not provide evidence because this was so obvious utter nonsense.
Sellers cannot amend a listing , only add a note.
At least, that is what they want us to believe :)

Reactions: greeneyes
Dec 10, 2013
Very sweet pipe . This one really spoke to me, also because of the elaborate documentation, the classy box and sleeve . I'm a sucker for packaging and documentation :

Last edited:

dPero

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2022
Stafilic
Very sweet pipe . This one really spoke to me, also because of the elaborate documentation and the classy box and sleeve . I'm a sucker for packaging and documentation :

Cool 👌

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Very sweet pipe . This one really spoke to me, also because of the elaborate documentation, the classy box and sleeve . I'm a sucker for packaging and documentation :

It's making its way to me now!

I have several Huybrecht pipes that I quite like. And, in the dark ages, before the internet, before I discovered Tom Dunn's TPSE, Hacker's book was helpful in opening my eyes to the broader pipe smoking world. I'm looking forward to taking care of this pipe.

Will it get smoked? Oh, you betcha!

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

I get it. I love old collectibles where the original owner saved letters, receipts, etc.

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013

I have several Huybrecht pipes that I quite like. And, in the dark ages, before the internet, before I discovered Tom Dunn's TPSE, Hacker's book was helpful in opening my eyes to the broader pipe smoking world. I'm looking forward to taking care of this pipe.

Congrats, you really won a wonderful pipe, a brand with quite some history :
Where are you located ?

Last edited:
Reactions: grimpeur
Dec 10, 2013
I thought they would do better. Condition looks pretty decent. I guess more delicate, svelte pipes are not a thing, and they don't have any Dunhill nomenclature. Perhaps buyers weren't buying the O•D origin story.
This is a nice cased set; they look pretty decent, not nothing special to me.
I could not find any information about the brand and still wonder about their provenance .

Reactions: sablebrush52

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

Thats awesome, congratulations!

Reactions: grimpeur

grimpeur

Lurker
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Congrats, you really won a wonderful pipe, a brand with quite some history :
Where are you located ?
Toronto...Canada.

There was actually a shop in the city that would bring in Huybrecht pipes on an occasional basis. That shop is now condos...*sigh*

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Not sure how interesting this is to others, but it made me think a little. The case has the Patent number and Dunhill over London embossed on it, but that 'Dunhill White Spot' piece inside the case looks like a modern add-on. Also, all the pre-1940 Dunhill cases I've seen have a silk lining on one side with the appropriate Dunhill markings in sort-of-script. So is this a 50's/60's case?

I could not read anything on the actual pipe's stamping, so this could be a modern heavily-abused pipe...that belonged to a velociraptor.

Vintage Dunhill White Spot Briar Estate Pipe Original Signed Case Parts Restore | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/315284975374

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Not sure how interesting this is to others, but it made me think a little. The case has the Patent number and Dunhill over London embossed on it, but that 'Dunhill White Spot' piece inside the case looks like a modern add-on. Also, all the pre-1940 Dunhill cases I've seen have a silk lining on one side with the appropriate Dunhill markings in sort-of-script. So is this a 50's/60's case?

I could not read anything on the actual pipe's stamping, so this could be a modern heavily-abused pipe...that belonged to a velociraptor.

Vintage Dunhill White Spot Briar Estate Pipe Original Signed Case Parts Restore | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/315284975374

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Yeah, I’ve actually tried finding information about boxes/cases/sleeves for dunhills and the various eras. Not too much info.

Reactions: AroEnglish

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Yeah, I’ve actually tried finding information about boxes/cases/sleeves for dunhills and the various eras. Not too much info.

Boxes I can sometimes dig up, cases and sleeves generally not. What era are you looking for?

Have you reviewed the fairly complete runs of catalogs floating around? That might be a decent chronological source.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Boxes I can sometimes dig up, cases and sleeves generally not. What era are you looking for?

Have you reviewed the fairly complete runs of catalogs floating around? That might be a decent chronological source.

Yeah, I'm pretty good with boxes. I'm also pretty good with the silk-lined cases, but this one is an enigma. I'm not looking for a particular era - just trying to figure out dating for the case in the auction I posted.

Reactions: bayareabriar
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
  • If it has a case with Pat. No. 141486/19, it's from 1920 onwards. These cases received the Royal Warrant label (see notes 8).
|8 In 1921 the Royal Warrant was received by Prince of Wales and his Royal Crest was used up to 1936. In 1938 the Royal Warrant was received from the new King George VI and his Royal Crest was used up to 1953 when the King passed away. Dunhill continued to display the warrant without the monarch reference. The label was again revised and the monarch reference was added as "To The Late King George VI" (this form continued in use through the early '60s). After that, it was changed for the last time to the Royal Crest of Her Majesty the Queen.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
  • If it has a case with Pat. No. 141486/19, it's from 1920 onwards. These cases received the Royal Warrant label (see notes 8).
|8 In 1921 the Royal Warrant was received by Prince of Wales and his Royal Crest was used up to 1936. In 1938 the Royal Warrant was received from the new King George VI and his Royal Crest was used up to 1953 when the King passed away. Dunhill continued to display the warrant without the monarch reference. The label was again revised and the monarch reference was added as "To The Late King George VI" (this form continued in use through the early '60s). After that, it was changed for the last time to the Royal Crest of Her Majesty the Queen.

Thanks. I saw that, but the only 'label' on this case is the 'Dunhill White Spot' label which appears to be modern, and both sides of the case are velour. The silk-lined cases followed the information you posted, making them easier to figure out date ranges.