PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The guy this belongs to uses this board from time to time, so I thought I'd let him know his pipe is finished by sending him a link to here, instead of dealing with Gmail's pic size limit hassles. :col:

Also figured it's worth showing off in general for being a Fred Hanna-worthy straight grain. Not many of those around.

P1070045.jpg
P1070046.jpg
P1070047.jpg
P1070048.jpg
P1070051.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Some pics of the old and new stems side by side.

The oldie is one of Barling's "slab style" stems that (I think) were offered for dental reasons. If you don't need one for bite security, though, they're pretty uncomfortable. Square sides, quite thick, and have little button height.

The replacement is their conventional design and should be muchacho grande morer comfortable-er.

The saddle portion had to be made slightly longer to fit Barling's standard-size stamp because I didn't have their teeny one. (Looks better in visual mass balance terms in any event).

I also relaxed the bend a few degrees, since the original was unusually severe in that regard (maybe part of the dental thing?). It's now the standard seven degrees below the rim plane.

P1070069.jpg
P1070058.jpg
P1070064.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The oldie is one of Barling's "slab style" stems that (I think) were offered for dental reasons. If you don't need one for bite security, though, they're pretty uncomfortable. Square sides, quite thick, and have little button height.

The replacement is their conventional design and should be muchacho grande morer comfortable-er.
Viewing the new pictures only, I smiled. I never cared much for the Baring's stems and immediately noticed the difference. The Dibos button looks far more comfy (which I know from experience).

And wow, that grain. I haven't seen a pipe sporting that kind of grain in a long time.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Beautiful pipe George, and irrefutable evidence that post-transition pipes can be stunners. Ironically if this is anything to go by the new owners of the company took the Straight Grain designation much more seriously than the Barling family often did.

And I agree with Al. Your stem is a big step up in class and comfort.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Viewing the new pictures only, I smiled. I never cared much for the Baring's stems and immediately noticed the difference. The Dibos button looks far more comfy (which I know from experience).

And wow, that grain. I haven't seen a pipe sporting that kind of grain in a long time.
Al, you must not ever browse the WAYS thread!

Beautiful pipe George, and irrefutable evidence that post-transition pipes can be stunners. Ironically if this is anything to go by the new owners of the company took the Straight Grain designation much more seriously than the Barling family often did.

Post-Family, yes, but not by much I'd think. It's difficult to make assumptions and levy quotations about Barlings made in the early to mid 60s without sounding garish, or at worst a charlatan.

If I had to guess though, I'd say this one was made no later than the late 60s. A touch of that old family charm may have still existed in residue around the factory.

Thanks George!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Al, you must not ever browse the WAYS thread!

Post-Family, yes, but not by much I'd think. It's difficult to make assumptions and levy quotations about Barlings made in the early to mid 60s without sounding garish, or at worst a charlatan.

If I had to guess though, I'd say this one was made no later than the late 60s. A touch of that old family charm may have still existed in residue around the factory.

Thanks George!
It's an unfortunate myth that upon the sale to Finlay's the product went straight to hell. I own pipes from this period and they're excellent smokers. The decline was more gradual.
I'll second bluegrassbrian's assessment, though the pipe could be earlier, 1963 onward, based on the nomenclature. The lack of a TVF stamp suggests earlier to me, as Finlay initially dropped the use of it when they made the switch to the cursive logo in late 1962, then brought it back by 1965 and perhaps earlier. Heck of a beautiful piece of wood!