PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Savinellis are my go to briars, which many have already suggested above but I’m not sure how similar they are to castellos. I can’t speak to Castello as they’re more than I’m willing to spend on a briar (I don’t purchase estates).

Morettis are pretty nice Italian pipes with a very wide open draw. I’ve heard Castelllos have a very open draw so maybe Moretti is a good place to look? Others can chime in on the similarities between Castellos and Morettis.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Savinellis are my go to briars, which many have already suggested above but I’m not sure how similar they are to castellos. I can’t speak to Castello as they’re more than I’m willing to spend on a briar (I don’t purchase estates).

Morettis are pretty nice Italian pipes with a very wide open draw. I’ve heard Castelllos have a very open draw so maybe Moretti is a good place to look? Others can chime in on the similarities between Castellos and Morettis.
+1 Thats a great suggestion! I find them very comparable. Moretti pipes are also made from briar aged 10+ years and nice open draw with decades of experience and quality. You can get a nice new rusticated one on eBay (comparable to sea rock) for $160 or less too

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I've got a Talamoma (lower right pipe below). It is an outlier in my collection. The other two pipes are long gone, but that Talamona is going nowhere. I generally gravitate to very old Britwood and/or Meers. However, this Italian pipe is a superb smoker. I am into estate pipes ad picked it up for around $70. Estate pipes are not for everyone....

View attachment 296200
I almost pulled the trigger on a Talamona pipe when I was in Rome, but bought 2 Castello's which was enough $$ to spend at the time. They looked great and are much more affordable. Great to hear that it is a good smoker.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin

Great suggestion. It very well may be that open draw and thicker bit that I like, Moretti has a good selection on LePipe.it as well. Thanks!

Reactions: AroEnglish

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Can you get a forever stem made for a cob which is identical to one of your castellos stems you like?

A stupid answer I know, but a stupid answer that hadn’t been posted yet.

Edit: I’m not sure what your take on estate pipes are, but bolitto pipe sell estate castellos. They have one on eBay at the moment for around $200usd

Last edited:

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
While I agree, the quest is to find a pipe with a similar bit, feel, smoke as a Costello. Cheap pipes are abundant, but sure don’t smoke like a Castello.
We haven't been provided one of two pieces of important information, what is your budget and how close to a Castello are you trying to get? I find Castellos to have a smoking style all their own that is approached only by other brands that are as equally expensive. If you are looking for "the Castello experience" for a budget price take a look at estate sales, there's been a few fine specimens showing up recently on this and other forums.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Here is a video of Grenci cutting his own briar and making a pipe. It is in Italian but even if you don’t have CC it is worth watching. His pipes are made from high grade briar from Calabria. There are many pipes under $300 but none in the “under $200 range”. However, with that being said, the value is amazing. He has decades experience in making pipes from aged briar (mostly over 20 years now) and is a “one man shop” who sources, ages, cuts and works his own briar.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Here is a video of Grenci cutting his own briar and making a pipe. It is in Italian but even if you don’t have CC it is worth watching. His pipes are made from high grade briar from Calabria. There are many pipes under $300 but none in the “under $200 range”. However, with that being said, the value is amazing. He has decades experience in making pipes from aged briar (mostly over 20 years now) and is a “one man shop” who sources, ages, cuts and works his own briar.

I watched this video and am not sure if I agree with everything he said.... puffy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
From all these complaints about stems, I get the impression some of you guys should learn how to "tweak" your own stems. By that I mean learn to work it to get it the way you want. With a few simple tools you can do wonders. A fine file, some sandpaper, compound a drill bit or two and a few other items and you can do wonders. There is quite a bit about this on the nets. Just a friendly suggestion.... puffy