PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
@AroEnglish Al Pacia has a load of Ser jacs under 300 and a few under 200 euro. Shipping is fast and cheap from Italy and you get the no tax rate. Their completely smooth pipes are more. The La Fuma line if you run across them are Ser Jac seconds. Most will have a couple of fills. They are usually hard to see. Im lucky they dont sell 9mm pipes or Id be broke. Their Radice prices are outstanding.

To Doc Chopper...I cant say enough good about my Ser Jac pipes. I only mentioned Radice first because the price point. Radice are great pipes at knock around prices (almost).

I have not owned one but Ive never heard anything bad about the Geppetto pipes amd they are truly inexpensive.
Sorry meant Castellos for under $300

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Inexpensive knock-around pipe? Hard to beat a cob, or look at Morgan Bones' good smoking briars at a very modest price.
While I agree, the quest is to find a pipe with a similar bit, feel, smoke as a Costello. Cheap pipes are abundant, but sure don’t smoke like a Castello.

My experience with the bones is varied. Random stem and bit. Some smoke good, others not so. My experience is anecdotal, but my hit rate is 50%, and I decided that double the price for an unfinished pipe was not such a great deal. For a beginner this is a great choice.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Have a look at the Italian etailers ‘house pipes’ from sites like bollito or floppy, for example. Very much a case of ‘close but no cigar’ but for 60-80€ should be close enough.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
@AroEnglish Al Pacia has a load of Ser jacs under 300 and a few under 200 euro. Shipping is fast and cheap from Italy and you get the no tax rate. Their completely smooth pipes are more. The La Fuma line if you run across them are Ser Jac seconds. Most will have a couple of fills. They are usually hard to see. Im lucky they dont sell 9mm pipes or Id be broke. Their Radice prices are outstanding.

To Doc Chopper...I cant say enough good about my Ser Jac pipes. I only mentioned Radice first because the price point. Radice are great pipes at knock around prices (almost).

I have not owned one but Ive never heard anything bad about the Geppetto pipes amd they are truly inexpensive.
Great advice, thanks!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
If I could get one under $300, I would not have started this thread. Many other brands mentioned are less expensive but still pricey. Maybe you guys have more pocket change than I do.

Love the discussion! Thanks
Yeah that’s what surprised me about @sasquatch’s post saying you could get one for $2-300 from Italian sites as I haven’t seen that.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Well you actually have to TRY looking is the thing before you say you can't find something.

Admittedly, prices are up a hair since I last bought a Castello out of these guys, but here's one for 278 euros, shipping will be like 30. Pipe Castello - 'Sea Rock Briar' KK Shape 44 - Tabaccheria Corti Lecco - Online Shop - https://tabaccheriacorti.com/gb/pipes/10319-pipe-castello-sea-rock-briar-kk-shape-44.html

Make sure you are looking at the "tax free" pricing in Italy - their monster taxes only apply to in-EU sales.

But current exchange rate, jeez it's 335 bucks to get that thing to your house, guys. I find that very reasonable.

jharmon230

Lurker
Nov 11, 2017
My best pipe is a Castello. The smoking quality, weight and balance all factor in. The pipe was pricey. My local shop suggested I meet with the distributor for Rinaldo and I bought two Rinaldos. For 1/3 the price of the Castello I have found the Rinaldos to be of equal smoking quality. I don't find the Rinaldo grading system to be a factor. I now, with the exception of the Castello, smoke 7 Rinaldos exclusively.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
I like my Castellos, but not better than my Brebbias.
Jesse, Jesse, Jesse ...... ssshhhhh Brebbia's slide so far below the collector radar it's silly. The company has a long rich history going back to the early days when linked to Savinelli. Their upper end pipes rival some of the best of the best from other Italian brands. I could never understand why the brand did not grab a following. BUT for those with an eye for grain and tight wallets ...... so keep quiet Jesse!! Let's keep this between just a few of us!!

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Well you actually have to TRY looking is the thing before you say you can't find something.

Admittedly, prices are up a hair since I last bought a Castello out of these guys, but here's one for 278 euros, shipping will be like 30. Pipe Castello - 'Sea Rock Briar' KK Shape 44 - Tabaccheria Corti Lecco - Online Shop - https://tabaccheriacorti.com/gb/pipes/10319-pipe-castello-sea-rock-briar-kk-shape-44.html

Make sure you are looking at the "tax free" pricing in Italy - their monster taxes only apply to in-EU sales.

But current exchange rate, jeez it's 335 bucks to get that thing to your house, guys. I find that very reasonable.
Nice find, and I may end up buying it- but… $375 is still a fairly hefty price. I did state in my post that you get what you pay for, and I may need to dig deep. I don’t mind paying for a good pipe, but my challenge is to get a cheaper pipe that is similar. In my mind I am thinking underneath $250. I will check out some of the other suggestions later today when I get time.

I am waiting until Chicago pipe show to make any purchases, and using these suggestions when visiting the show to hopefully see some in person. If I don’t go over my budget at the show, I will be buying online.

Who am I kidding, I got no real budget. I will buy way too much and beg my wife for forgiveness later.😅

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Jesse, Jesse, Jesse ...... ssshhhhh Brebbia's slide so far below the collector radar it's silly. The company has a long rich history going back to the early days when linked to Savinelli. Their upper end pipes rival some of the best of the best from other Italian brands. I could never understand why the brand did not grab a following. BUT for those with an eye for grain and tight wallets ...... so keep quiet Jesse!! Let's keep this between just a few of us!!
I have one Brebbia- an Oom Paul with a cap I use for Lunting. It does smoke great. I may need to look at more classic shapes.

Reactions: dunnyboy
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
My best pipe is a Castello. The smoking quality, weight and balance all factor in. The pipe was pricey. My local shop suggested I meet with the distributor for Rinaldo and I bought two Rinaldos. For 1/3 the price of the Castello I have found the Rinaldos to be of equal smoking quality. I don't find the Rinaldo grading system to be a factor. I now, with the exception of the Castello, smoke 7 Rinaldos exclusively.
I will check them out- thanks!

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Maestro de Paja are great pipes and they are currently selling online for €175 and less. Not sure if any of them speak to you but there are dozens of them to look at.

Many Gepetto are under $250 on smoking pipes and as low as $150 and they are even cheaper direct from Italy without VAT. Made by Ser Jacopo with their wood, workmanship and standards it’s hard to beat that value!

Reactions: AroEnglish

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
My Rinaldo is a top smoker -taste wise and has a very confortable button. I may have got lucky but I love that pipe.