PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
Horn feels... interesting to me. It's comfortable but can can taste odd. I do smoke my horn stem pipes but they're not my favorite. Worth trying something like a Ropp first to see how you like it. I do wonder if any artisan pipe makers will work with the material. If they did, I may try one.

I am pretty darn sure I have seen a horn stemmed Devil Anse from Chris Askwith before.

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
Thanks for all the info! I’ve got a couple different Ropps in the shopping cart. Now suppose I really enjoy these stems of horn, I’ve yet to find a store either online or within a 300 mile radius of me that I might be able to get one for my poor stemless pipe that’s crying out to be smoked. Any suggestions on where or whom I may be able to source one from?

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
Thanks for all the info! I’ve got a couple different Ropps in the shopping cart. Now suppose I really enjoy these stems of horn, I’ve yet to find a store either online or within a 300 mile radius of me that I might be able to get one for my poor stemless pipe that’s crying out to be smoked. Any suggestions on where or whom I may be able to source one from?

I don’t know if they would do this or not, but I would call the guys at Blue Room Briars. I know they refurbish estate pipes to sell. I don’t know if they make stems, but I would bet they could point you in the right direction to someone who does. I know I had a question with them once and I talked to Scott, I believe, for quite a while one day. Just a really great and helpful guy.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
If you're a stem chewer they fray easily. If not they're easily taken care of with a periodic application of mineral oil.
Thanks. Came here looking for info on maintaining horn stems since I received a Ropp Vintage with one for Valentine's - awesome gift! I figured I'd just use an oil periodically (jojoba) like I typically do with vulcanite, but I also thought about buffing it with carnauba wax.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I think you'll have to have a stem made and fitted for that particular pipe (or DIY). Not the kind of thing you can just buy off the shelf and stick onto any pipe.

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
I think you'll have to have a stem made and fitted for that particular pipe (or DIY). Not the kind of thing you can just buy off the shelf and stick onto any pipe.
Yea, that is the plan. I was more inquiring about the durability and feel prior to finding someone to send them off to. Just got a couple of horn stemmed pipes headed my way today to try out myself. 😁

Reactions: BenMN and Lumbridge

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Yea, that is the plan. I was more inquiring about the durability and feel prior to finding someone to send them off to. Just got a couple of horn stemmed pipes headed my way today to try out myself. 😁
Ropp? I've yet to smoke my new Ropp Vintage Sandblast, but the quality of craftsmanship is fantastic. I'd say it's on par with my Genod. I'm surprised that I don't see more about French-made briars, but perhaps it's because they're not as hyped up as Italian or British-made pipes.
I'm still trying to decide what to break it in with. Perhaps a nice VaPer.

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
Ropp? I've yet to smoke my new Ropp Vintage Sandblast, but the quality of craftsmanship is fantastic. I'd say it's on par with my Genod. I'm surprised that I don't see more about French-made briars, but perhaps it's because they're not as hyped up as Italian or British-made pipes.
Yes! I’ve got a Ropp J10 and it’s my favorite. Suits my everyday needs. Don’t have to worry about breaking it so much either as the price is right. Fire that thing up, don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Aug 1, 2012
Oftentimes French briars get a bad rap because they're cheap. I've gotten many a good smoke out of a cheap French pipe though.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The French originated and popularised the use of briar in pipe making.

London/English made pipes gained ascendency because of their commercial links and markets
Much of the “London and British made“ pipes in the late 19th and early 20th century were, in fact, made in France

Many of the shapes we take to be quintessential “English/British” eg billiards and bulldogs are of French origin

As @mso489 was fond of saying, French pipes tend to be under-priced and fall under the radar

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
The French originated and popularised the use of briar in pipe making.

London/English made pipes gained ascendency because of their commercial links and markets
Much of the “London and British made“ pipes in the late 19th and early 20th century were, in fact, made in France

Many of the shapes we take to be quintessential “English/British” eg billiards and bulldogs are of French origin

As @mso489 was fond of saying, French pipes tend to be under-priced and fall under the radar
Thanks for the info. Love a good history lesson! I’ve put some miles on mine and it hasn’t failed me yet!

Reactions: BenMN and OzPiper