PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I’ve been wanting to get a clay pipe for quite a while. I have looked at them online at different vendors. I came across a website in Ireland that makes old clay pipes- The Knockcroghery

I was on eBay last week looking around and came across an auction for two of there clay pipes.
They arrived today. Pondering what to smoke first in them?
IMG_1372.jpeg

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I’ve been wanting to get a clay pipe for quite a while. I have looked at them online at different vendors. I came across a website in Ireland that makes old clay pipes- The Knockcroghery

I was on eBay last week looking around and came across an auction for two of there clay pipes.
They arrived today. Pondering what to smoke first in them?
View attachment 279090
Your favorite tobacco

Reactions: The Clay King
May 17, 2023
Indiana
I bought one several months ago, but I haven't smoked it yet. I have some doubts about its utility. The draft hole is so narrow that I can't get a pipe cleaner into it. It also has what looks like excess material in the bowl partially covering the draft hole. I am not sure if this intentional and intended to prevent taking tobacco into ones mouth. Fralphog, does yours have these issues/features? I can't decide if it is better to keep the pipe as a display piece or try to smoke it. Any thoughts?

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
@PipePint&Cross ,
I agree with your assessment of the pipe draft hole size. I took my pipe tool and surgically removed two small fragments of dried clay located at the bottom of the bowl near the draft hole. Probably residue from making the pipe that wasn’t cleaned up. The other pipe has a nice clean bowl at the bottom.
I discovered the narrow draft “channel” when I finished smoking it. I have some tapered pipe cleaners. The narrow end went into the pipe about an inch and a half.
It’s very possible that the resurrection of this historical pipe making shop was Geared more towards tourism and replicating a clay pipe that could be sold- not smoked?
Probably a good reason why you don’t see them for sale in any of the larger online tobacco and pipe stores. I’m 68% Irish-English and was drawn to the history of the old pipe making facility from Ireland.
The pipe smoked very well. No issues smoking the tobacco. I actually really enjoyed it. The real question will be keeping the pipe clean enough to maintain a viable airway from the bowl to the end of the stem.
Since I don’t have another clay pipe to compare it to I’m not sure of how big the diameter of the draft hole is on say an Old Dominion or German Clay?
I’m not one for display pieces. I’m going to smoke both of these pipes for as long as they remain viable vessels to enjoy a good smoke!
Might have to buy an Old Dominion just to compare.
I definitely have to learn how to clean and maintain these clay pipes. Maybe the classic “baking off” residue will clean out the airway as well?
Hope this helps.

Reactions: BCF
May 17, 2023
Indiana
Hey, thanks a lot. Now I feel free to remove that residue in the bowl. Hopefully I can find a way to clean the airway. Let me know if you find a way. I would much rather smoke it than leave it as a display piece, so I will likely give it a go at some time.