PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Some pipe names are self-explanatory eg pots, apples, cutty (a “cut off”or shortened tavern pipe), eggs, brandy, horns
Prince of Wales was named after the debonair Prince Edward (who later abdicated)
Hungarian was presumably a shape popular in the AustroHungarian Empire.
And Lovats named after Lord Henry Fraser, chief of Clan Lovat. Also called Henry Frasers before the term Lovat became popular

Other names are more puzzling eg billiards (nothing like a billiard cue), bulldogs (and even more puzzling, it’s earlier moniker “Haiti“)

Then there are pipe makers who muddy the water by using their own nomenclature or misnaming shapes

Authors with their stubby shape maybe seen as ideal for clenching while tapping away at the typewriter, as postulated by @anotherbob

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Never found a good answer to the question. I agree with the above, I have plenty of pipes that would be better “clenchers” for writing, for example. Maybe it goes well with tweed and turtlenecks.

Having said that, it’s one of my favorite shapes. I’ll brag on a member @doug535 who fashioned his modern take on an author for me recently - like my authors “chubby”. IMG_3467.jpeg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Why is it named an Author? My guess would be it's just an invented marketing term by the first company to make one. The only author I've ever seen smoking one was a "gun writer." You know, one of those guys who write articles for gun magazines? Thought it funny at the time.
Here is a fantastic article about some classic outdoor writers and pipes! Smoke Rings - https://shootingsportsman.com/pipe-smoking-outdoor-writers/#:~:text=Few%20knew%20that%20better%20than,for%20pipes%20and%20pipe%20smoking.

There is a member here, who is an author. He loves the author shape and pops in from time to time, asking questions about the author shape.

Here is one he posted

Here is another by the same member also asking about the author shape.