PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
First, my sons make fun of me because I’ll put a cheap scope on a high dollar rifle. The standard advice is spend at least the cost of the rifle on glass.

Screw that. Geezus. It’s a sight, not a pair of binoculars.

I own several Tasco World Class scopes, they never fail. If they did Tasco would replace them free.

Take $50 to Walmart and buy this one.

If you don’t like it take it back.

BTW an Axis is an excellent rifle.

IMG_6316.jpeg

Reactions: carlomarx

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
I have become a Vortex fan over the last ten years or so. They have scopes that range from economy to high end and believe it or not, they are all fantastic. I've got a couple of the lower end Crossfire scopes on some plinkers, several Diamondbacks on AR platform guns, a scout rifle scope on a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, and a Viper on my long range bench gun. Prices run from mid $100 to well into the $1000s, just depends on what you are after.

For a .30-06, I'd suggest a Diamondback (middle of the road optic) in 3.5x10. Diamondback 3.5-10x50 - https://vortexoptics.com/diamondback-3-5-10x50.html

Best thing about Vortex is they have the best scope warranty hands down. I had a Diamondback that I bought from the bargin bin at Cabelas. The crosshairs were canted about 15 degrees. Sent a repair request to Vortex, and I expected to pay for the repairs as I had bought the scope that way. Nope. They repaired it and sent it back to me no charge. A couple years later, I left a pair of Vortex Binos on the tailgate of our side by side (I went to relieve myself in the brush), hunting buddy thought it would be funny to leave me there, so he hopped into the Mule and took off. Binos fell off the tailgate and one of the lenses was broken. Sent it to Vortex, again, no charge just repaired and sent back to me.

G

Gimlet

Meopta. Ziess glass, Vortex money. Had an R1 for many years and it's an extremely fine scope. Also have a lot of respect for Leupold, though the eye relief tends to be longer than I prefer. But on an ought 6 with a 22" barrel that might not be a bad thing.

G

Gimlet

I didn't make an error above. Their more affordable lines (foreign made) are great. The high end lines (American made) are as good as brands in the $3000-$5000 range.
You do pay a badge premium for the prestige European brands. Swarovski have been trading on it for years, though admittedly their aftercare is exemplary. The best Japanese and American glass is now as good for less money. The two most robust and reliable scopes I've ever owned were Leupold and Nightforce. You could hammer in nails with them and they wouldn't lose zero.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Why a Tasco World Class—

1. It’s a 30/06. Standard deer rifle since the thirties. Every scope made is tested with a 30-06. The recoil is not severe.

2. Walmart gives you another one or your money back if they break, and they don’t break.

3. It’s a sight. You see deer, shoot deer. I’ve used my World Class scopes for thirty years and they work. It’s not a target scope, although it could be.

The Vortex is a good scope and my kids love theirs.

But for a once a year $350 30-06 deer rifle the World Class is more than adequate.

G

Gimlet

It's always nice to have the brightest, crispest glass money can buy. If you have the money. But I'm happy if my scope matches my binoculars. There's nothing worse than spotting a target clearly with the bins and then not being able to find it with the cross hairs.
It's great to spend £5000 combined on scope and binoculars if you can, and maybe essential if you're culling professionally at 300 yards in the winter dusk of a northern forest plantation, but you don't need anything like that just to fill the freezer. If you can shoot cleanly what you've spotted it'll do the job. And has for me, for years.

Reactions: Briar Lee

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Leupold rifleman 3x9. No muss and no fuss. Great for punching paper or anything else you're shooting at. Been a staple on my hunting rifles for 30+ years. VX1 is fine too, just a bit newer and 1/4 moa adjustments rather than the rifleman's 1/2 moa. Just match the scope to the intended use.

Reactions: Briar Lee

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
All good choices. I have a Burris RT-6 on the lower end of their price points that is a fine optic for an AR. They make other models. Compared in store to a comparable Vortex and liked the view better and was recommended by the guys at the shop.

Last edited:

Tbaggins

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2021
Montana
Sounds like everyone has you covered. Only thing I will add is reticle preference. I can not stand scopes with thick crosshairs that cover up the vitals on an animal past 100 yards. Swarovski has the best thinnest crosshairs in my opinion and their brx system is very accurate. 700 is the farthest I’ve shot paper and it’s right there every time. This scope has been on three different rifles, buy once cry once imo. IMG_0801.pngIMG_3495.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bengel