PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
In "The Guns of Navarone" the dude just tears open a cigarette and dumps it into his pipe. It's on TV (now) which as I understand it was the 50s/60s version of "you can't put it on the internet if it's not true"

Also bear in mind the "codger blends" like prince albert, half and half, Walter Raliegh, have been codger blends since before the average home had indoor plumbing so I'd wager any of them would be firmly represented in the WWII era.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There's so many of the old blends that are long gone - Revelation, Country Doctor, Barking Dog, Union Leader, Blue Boar, Edgeworth, all spring to mind with no effort. Blends like Velvet, Prince Al, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half and Half, were all around then.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
He's not the only cat that looks like Der Fuhrer. Just Google "Kitler" and hit "images" and you'll see more.

For some reason WW2 and Hitler have popped up here several times in the last few days and I've responded 3 times. I'm kind of an amateur WW2 historian but my wife says she thinks I'm a closet Nazi. She should know.... she's Jewish. puffy

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I think Half & Half, SWR, Velvet, and Prince Albert were the ones most commonly sent to the front. Here’s a Spartan pipe made by D&P from my collection, it was made specifically to be sent over in C Rations. It’s made from rhododendron root and the stem is maple.View attachment 275586View attachment 275587
I’ve heard of these but never seen one. I don’t even think the Grabow factory has one!

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
My Grandfather said he smoked Prince Albert and it was not too difficult to get as most of the GIs he was with all wanted the cigs he was issued and he just traded for it. He smoked PA until he passed.

Reactions: romaso