18 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 17, 2023
Indiana
Where did you find this cover? The only hardcovers I can find have a picture of Tolkien, and I rather like plain covers.
I removed the dust cover (I find them annoying when reading and inevitably tear them), which is indeed a picture of Tolkien. I received this as a gift, so I am not sure where it was purchased, but I expect all available copies are the same. It is a first edition, second printing if that helps.

DrBryant

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2024
Houston, TX
I removed the dust cover (I find them annoying when reading and inevitably tear them), which is indeed a picture of Tolkien. I received this as a gift, so I am not sure where it was purchased, but I expect all available copies are the same. It is a first edition, second printing if that helps.

Thank you! I couldn’t tell if it was a gloss hardcover or a dust cover. I also remove my dust covers while reading.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
A woefully bad book, unabashed hagiography. 400 pages in, and wondering if it is worth continuing. One of life's more perplexing dilemmas, complete a bad book half way through to ensure the first half wasn't a complete waste of time, or persevere with diminishing returns and waste yet more time? I wonder:

9780241294666.jpg

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
A woefully bad book, unabashed hagiography. 400 pages in, and wondering if it is worth continuing. One of life's more perplexing dilemmas, complete a bad book half way through to ensure the first half wasn't a complete waste of time, or persevere with diminishing returns and waste yet more time? I wonder:

View attachment 283556
When I don’t care for a book, I drop it and pick up another—even if I’m 80% through. My better half believes in “skimming “ when that happens

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK

View attachment 283556
In for a penny, in for a pound.
400 pages in, I'd finish it.
That bad?

Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Joseph and His Brothers is in my list now. The Magic Mountain is one of my all time favorites
I could never get into The Magic Mountain after a couple of attempts. It tended to drag along slowly for me. After his five-page dissertation on cigar smoking, I found I couldn’t go any further. Loved the Confessions of Felix Krull, Confidence Man, though.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I could never get into The Magic Mountain after a couple of attempts. It tended to drag along slowly for me. After his five-page dissertation on cigar smoking, I found I couldn’t go any further. Loved the Confessions of Felix Krull, Confidence Man, though.
Yes, I’ve found that people either really like the Magic Mountain—or they really don’t. The one I don’t care for (but that many Mann readers love ) is Buddenbrooks.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
In for a penny, in for a pound.
400 pages in, I'd finish it.
That bad?
Yeah it is about as bad a book as I've read. Just total glorification of Bonny. A polemic. I don't suppose anyone dealing with a figure as divisive as that can be objective, but they should at least try. Even the pretense of trying is not here. I suppose I should have known that given the title of the book, and the fact Roberts is not exactly for his even handed political commentary. Fuck it, I'll watch the film instead, can't be any worse than this shite.

• Haha
Reactions: RonB and simong

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Let me know what you think, and also how you feel about it vs White Noise (which I believe you read last year if im not mistaken)
Will do, I’m only about 50 pages into it but it’s very good so far—as you probably know, it revolves around events leading up to the JFK assassination (to add to all the other conspiracy theories that surfaced following the assassination, not to mention the results of the Warren Commission).

I like Delillo’s style of writing and loved White Noise. BTW, did you ever get through Herzog?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
View attachment 278879
"In this revelatory work, Barbara W. Tuchman examines not only the great rhythms of history but the grain and texture of domestic life: what childhood was like; what marriage meant; how money, taxes, and war dominated the lives of serf, noble, and clergy alike."

Fascinating stuff.
A classic! I’ve reread it a couple of times over the years

Reactions: edger