PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Trimpickart

Lurker
Jan 21, 2024
Belgium
Hello, I'm pretty new here and also in the pipe smoking world, but I wanted to have so recent feedback -- is it me or is the kentucky bird absolutely disgusting ??
I'm throwing away a 100 grams box because since I really like the Poul Winslow Harlekin blend she advised this to me but I don't know why (maybe the rose petals) it it so bitter than I have the feeling to smoke tobacco on Schweppes with steroids or something - pwah !

Where I live, in Belgium (EU) we do have limited choices but still likeable sorts (at least to me) like the davidoff flakes, some MAC Baren & Alsbo and so. My favourite so far, and by far, is the Samuel Gawith Navy Flake...

Never try Kentucky Bird if new to pipe smoking, bleh...

• Sad
Reactions: Leomania

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Kentucky Bird is the one with flower scented toppings or even flower petals in it? I've always wanted to try it, but I like floral topped tobacco. Gawith Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith tobaccos are famous for their floral scented blends. You might want to avoid them!

Trimpickart

Lurker
Jan 21, 2024
Belgium
Kentucky Bird is the one with flower scented toppings or even flower petals in it? I've always wanted to try it, but I like floral topped tobacco. Gawith Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith tobaccos are famous for their floral scented blends. You might want to avoid them!
Yes it's the one with rose petals in it, and I think that is what exactly gives that extreme bitter flavor while smoking, while being good smelling it. The SG, with the navy flakes, no issues with that, it has a kind of a salty flavor but like it.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Yes it's the one with rose petals in it, and I think that is what exactly gives that extreme bitter flavor while smoking, while being good smelling it. The SG, with the navy flakes, no issues with that, it has a kind of a salty flavor but like it.
Burley tobacco can also be very bitter especially when you get to the the last half of the bowl. Like gargling asprin with Indian Pale Ale made with too much hops.

Trimpickart

Lurker
Jan 21, 2024
Belgium
Burley tobacco can also be very bitter especially when you get to the the last half of the bowl. Like gargling asprin with Indian Pale Ale made with too much hops.
Yes maybe that is the case, not much burley in navy flakes I think, mostly virginia & latakia.
Smoking straight virginia is ok but reminds me a bit too much of cigarettes in some way, actually I get about the same smoke when I use like the pall mall "tubing" curls I use with cigs.

The Wilslow very aromatics and others like Amphora do contain burley too, but maybe the cavendish eases the bitterness ?

Dunno what you mean.
Also in my country, Belgium, some popular brands, like i.e. Peterson are just not imported anymore, figure why but yeah ...
A full bird refers to a Colonel in the US Army, and a famous retired Colonel is Sanders (turns out he was never even in the military) but he started selling fried birds in Kentucky... Kentucky Fried Chicken. Anyways, your post name just reminded me of it. I've never heard of that pipe tobacco. I'm sorry you don't like it.

Trimpickart

Lurker
Jan 21, 2024
Belgium
A full bird refers to a Colonel in the US Army, and a famous retired Colonel is Sanders (turns out he was never even in the military) but he started selling fried birds in Kentucky... Kentucky Fried Chicken. Anyways, your post name just reminded me of it. I've never heard of that pipe tobacco. I'm sorry you don't like it.
Aaah ok :)
Just google "Kentucky Bird" it smells sooooooo good, but smoking it, pwah !

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

Trimpickart

Lurker
Jan 21, 2024
Belgium
You may be getting it too hot.
What I thought too at first, but comparing to other stuff it does not seem like so ...
True that since I started again I had tongue bite but I pay attention to it now, I have kind of a trick - I lift my tongue up to better feel the temperature on the bottom of my tongue, and here it's not the case.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What I thought too at first, but comparing to other stuff it does not seem like so ...
True that since I started again I had tongue bite but I pay attention to it now, I have kind of a trick - I lift my tongue up to better feel the temperature on the bottom of my tongue, and here it's not the case.
Some blends don't have to be hot enough to burn your tongue. Flavored blends like Kentucky Bird can be reduced to flavorless ribbons by just a bit more hear or even overly enthusiastic lighting.

Reactions: Trimpickart

Trimpickart

Lurker
Jan 21, 2024
Belgium
Some blends don't have to be hot enough to burn your tongue. Flavored blends like Kentucky Bird can be reduced to flavorless ribbons by just a bit more hear or even overly enthusiastic lighting.
Ok I can understand but then why don't I have the same issue with tobacco like Winslow which are very very aromatic too ? I'm really wondering if it's not due to the rose petals.

Reactions: Chasing Embers